betadine scrubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

John

5 Year Member
attachment.jpghello again i read somewhere that scrubing the carapace and plastron with batadine mixed in warm water with sa toothbrush was good ive been doing this every sunday its seems ok too me they do get dirty anyone have any opinion on this is there something i may not be considering

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
In my opinion, its always best to use medications only when circumstances dictate. If there is no shell rot I don't think its a good idea to use Betadine. You can clean their shells with plain water and a soft brush. Betadine inhibits the growth of white cells. You're not using it often enough to worry about that, but if it were me, I wouldn't use it unless I saw evidence of shell rot.

M

Maggie Cummings

No Betadine! Like Yvonne says, it's a medication that inhibits the growth of white blood cells. There's no reason to use it unless there evidence of shell rot or fungus. Just use a soft brush to scrub a dirty shell. But remember tortoises are animals, they're gonna get dirty!
You're picture was too small, I couldn't see it with these old eyes. Go to tinypics.com that will help you post better pictures...

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Here's a list of possible side effects in humans with Betadine: Check in Betadine Side Effect Reports on this page: Rash; Chills, Foaming at mouth, Multi-organ failure; Erythema, Skin lesion, Swelling; Application site reaction, Burns second degree, Burns third degree, Impaired healing; Thyroid disorder; Culture positive, Eye infection, Postoperative infection; Culture positive, Endophthalmitis, Postoperative infection; Culture positive, Endophthalmitis, Postoperative infection; Culture positive, Endophthalmitis, Postoperative infection; Endophthalmitis, Postoperative infection; Culture positive, Endophthalmitis, Postoperative infection; Culture positive, Endophthalmitis, Postoperative infection; Postoperative infection; Postoperative infection; Endophthalmitis, Postoperative infection; Endophthalmitis, Postoperative infection; Burns third degree, Caustic injury, Skin irritation; Application site irritation, Burns third degree, Caustic injury, Skin irritation, Vaginal disorder; Consciousness fluctuating;
If there is no medical reason to use this, why take the chance? I just use a soft brush and warm water.

John

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
In my opinion, its always best to use medications only when circumstances dictate. If there is no shell rot I don't think its a good idea to use Betadine. You can clean their shells with plain water and a soft brush. Betadine inhibits the growth of white cells. You're not using it often enough to worry about that, but if it were me, I wouldn't use it unless I saw evidence of shell rot.

betadine scrubs are recommended by misty colton of the world chelonian trust i do however have the frequency wrong she says monthly im not a scientist so i dont know

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
If you must scrub, I second the vote to not use betadine. The fact that it inhibits growth of white blood cells is not something that you really want happening. Sounds like you're just worried about keeping your tort clean. While most people don't bother cleaning their torts (they may soak them, but that's about it), if you must do it why not just use a very small drop of normal antibacterial soap?

I don't know who misty colton is, but to me routinely using betadine seems unnecessary.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
squamata said:
betadine scrubs are recommended by misty colton of the world chelonian trust i do however have the frequency wrong she says monthly im not a scientist so i dont know

This is an article that Misty wrote about taking care of the Padloper tortoise in captivity. You can't take that one paragraph out of context and apply it to all tortoises. I've copy/pasted that particular paragraph:

"Shell care: Once a month during summer give your tortoise an all over "scrub" with diluted Betadine solution (it should resemble weak black tea) and a soft nail brush (or a human baby hairbrush is ideal!), at the same time examine shell for any defects or signs of scutes lifting. Any loose scutes should be removed, and the area scrubbed and then allowed to dry. Keep an eye on this area to ensure it does not develop into shell rot, and if any of the surrounding scutes loosen remove those too. Do not apply any substance to the shell, as this can affect their ability to maintain body temperature. Paint in particular can be harmful. If large areas of scutes start loosening it’s a sign of trouble and you should seek vet help immediately."

This tortoise is hard to keep in captivity and Misty was giving pointers to help keep the captive Padloper tortoise alive. There is no reason for a Betadine scrub, even monthly, for the more common and hardier tortoises that we see in collections today.

John

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
squamata said:
sorry for the confusion but that article comes up under and for leopard tortoise

This is an article that Misty wrote about taking care of the Padloper tortoise in captivity. You can't take that one paragraph out of context and apply it to all tortoises. I've copy/pasted that particular paragraph:

"Shell care: Once a month during summer give your tortoise an all over "scrub" with diluted Betadine solution (it should resemble weak black tea) and a soft nail brush (or a human baby hairbrush is ideal!), at the same time examine shell for any defects or signs of scutes lifting. Any loose scutes should be removed, and the area scrubbed and then allowed to dry. Keep an eye on this area to ensure it does not develop into shell rot, and if any of the surrounding scutes loosen remove those too. Do not apply any substance to the shell, as this can affect their ability to maintain body temperature. Paint in particular can be harmful. If large areas of scutes start loosening it’s a sign of trouble and you should seek vet help immediately."

This tortoise is hard to keep in captivity and Misty was giving pointers to help keep the captive Padloper tortoise alive. There is no reason for a Betadine scrub, even monthly, for the more common and hardier tortoises that we see in collections today.

squamata said:
emysemys said:
squamata said:
sorry for the confusion but that article comes up under and for leopard tortoise
i went back and checked and printed out the article it is in fact titled geochelone pardalis leopard tortoise

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'll be darned! Its the exact same paragraph for both articles.

Well, Misty Corton lives in South Africa and really knows her tortoises. But I'd be hesitant to use even a weak betadine solution even once a month on a healthy, growing shell.

John

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
I'll be darned! Its the exact same paragraph for both articles.

Well, Misty Corton lives in South Africa and really knows her tortoises. But I'd be hesitant to use even a weak betadine solution even once a month on a healthy, growing shell.

thanks for your time ive come too determine its not a needed practice maybe when i start keepin my guys outdoors ill reevaluate this thanks again for takin the time too respond any input on my cork bark question?

M

Maggie Cummings

South Africa or not, Misty's advice on most things lately is old fashioned and out of date. The WCT thinks differently about tortoise care then us TFO members. The WCT's thinking and tort practices is pretty old fashioned and I wouldn't pay much attention to them...

John

5 Year Member
as i said in my intro im new too keeping torts not reptiles been in this since i was 8 and imean neck deep in swamp at 8 im 46 now i dont think anything that you read should be considered law you need too take it all in and then think for yourself and i would not ignore any one credible but thanks for the advice john

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Lots of folks put cork bark in aquariums for turtles to climb on, so I don't think it would be harmful in a tortoise habitat. But I don't know for sure.

I can't find your exact question. Guess these old eyes are acting up this a.m. Were you wanting to use cork bark as substrate?

Status
Not open for further replies.