Better Late Than Never Enclosure

Bibbit

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Dallas, Texas
I finally finished my enclosure for my 3 crazy turtles. It's a large space and I need it since they did nothing but fight when I got them in it. So, I've made separate areas for them and it is somewhat keeping them apart. I was hoping the large area would keep the boys from harassing each other and mounting my girl constantly, but unfortunately it did not. I was afraid to leave the boys together because they are violent. Someone was going to lose an eye. And the girl keeps jumping her fence and begging the boys to bother her. They're a mess.

This was two long months of work.

Attachments

• Turtle 1.JPG
    Turtle 1.JPG
    801.5 KB · Views: 331
  • Turtle 2.JPG
    Turtle 2.JPG
    665.8 KB · Views: 303
  • Turtle 3.JPG
    Turtle 3.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 307
  • Turtle 4.JPG
    Turtle 4.JPG
    656.5 KB · Views: 292

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The one you have by itself. The female I think? If you make that partition a sold wall, so she can not look out and they can't look in, it will be a more peaceful and less stressed area. Other then that, looks great.

Bibbit

5 Year Member
Dallas, Texas
Thanks. I anticipate that I will need to make their partitions solid. I still cling to the dream of them living as a happy family. I'll probably break down and find something to cover my little fences soon.

The enclosure is constructed of landscape timbers and it is screened in with normal window screen. I'm watching closely to make sure they are not able to damage the screen and escape, as well as that nothing can damage it to get into the enclosure. So far, so good. I'm hoping it proves durable.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
If you find you have to replace the screen you can use a light weight chicken wire...not as pretty but stronger....fantastic space.

tortoise5643

5 Year Member
I don't mean to sound rude. But how much did that cost (just the timbers and screen) I really like it. How big is it? Sorry but I love it!

Bibbit

5 Year Member
Dallas, Texas
Thanks. The enclosure is basically 16 x 16, so around 256 square feet.

I was shooting for around $500. However, I've been dreaming of building this oasis for a long time, so I splurged. We just moved into a new house with a little splash of land to go with it. This was the first project I started after we got all our stuff moved in and made the house liveable. So all that is to say that after the bench and the plants, which followed timbers, 2x4s, screen, hardware, stones, etc., it was probably closer to $1,000. And I built it about 90% by myself, so I worked on it hours a day for almost two months. It wasn't for the faint of heart, but I'm very pleased with it and proud of my handiwork.

tortoise5643

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Better Late Than Never Enclosure

Bibbit said:
Thanks. The enclosure is basically 16 x 16, so around 256 square feet.

I was shooting for around $500. However, I've been dreaming of building this oasis for a long time, so I splurged. We just moved into a new house with a little splash of land to go with it. This was the first project I started after we got all our stuff moved in and made the house liveable. So all that is to say that after the bench and the plants, which followed timbers, 2x4s, screen, hardware, stones, etc., it was probably closer to $1,000. And I built it about 90% by myself, so I worked on it hours a day for almost two months. It wasn't for the faint of heart, but I'm very pleased with it and proud of my handiwork.

What about just the wood and screening? Also how tall is it?

Bibbit

5 Year Member
Dallas, Texas
Thanks Anthony.

The wood and hardware to put it together was about $125. The screen was $200. It should have only been $150, but I had the worst time ever with Lowe's online and ended up having to order it from Florida and pay bulk shipping.

The enclosure is about 7 feet tall, so I had to buy 8 foot screen.

The screen is holding up fine. The only trouble I'm having is keeping one of my escape artist males who keeps secretly climbing out of the inner sections I have set up to keep them apart.

On the bright side, the roses I planted in there turned out very pretty.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I know this is an old thread that's being revived, but I'd really love to see more pictures of the female turtle. You've got an ornate and a 3-toe male, but the female looks a little water-turtlish to me. Maybe its just the way the picture is stretched on my computer screen. She even could be a gulf coast.

Your new area is big enough to add more females to your group. That would solve the problem.

Bibbit

5 Year Member
Dallas, Texas
She's definitely an ornate. And I did just add a new girl ornate too. She's actually in quarantine nearby, but will go in with the rest soon.

Sissy, she's doing fine.

I want to put up new pics, but it turned off a little cool today, so everybody is lying low.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
That enclosure is fantastic. I was just thinking you should get a few more females, but I see you are doing just that. I really love the pond. Perfect size too.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Are those 8' landscape timbers? Is it free standing, or are the uprights longer and sunk into the ground?

Bibbit

5 Year Member
Dallas, Texas
They are landscape timbers and I put them in the ground about 1 1/2 feet with concrete. The screen has loosened some, but that was helped along because of a terrible ice storm we had over the winter. Overall, I'm still loving the enclosure. It's starting to look like a jungle inside.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
It is a very nice enclosure.