Big Beak????

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortoisesRock!

5 Year Member
I have a Russian I rescued about a month ago, and I think she's absolutely perfect :) Today looking at pics of other Russians, I realized her beak is lots larger than the others. Should I be really concerned? All the other Russians seem to have nice rounded beaks and my lil ones beak looks almost like a bird beak! I've heard people talk of "parrot beak", from not having enough solid food in the Russians diet. Is this going to cause her any harm. Is there anyway to reverse or at least stop it, if it is damaging?

Attachments

• IMG_0411.jpg
    IMG_0411.jpg
    408.4 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0410.jpg
    IMG_0410.jpg
    468.4 KB · Views: 54

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
Aawww, she's a beuaty! What's her name? How old is she? ;)

Just remember to be VERY careful before trimming your tortoise's beak, or you can hurt her and expose her to serious infection. Get advice from Chad or Yvonne or Tom on beak trimming before you start, or take "Svetlana" to a vet to have it done. There's a tool called a "hasp" (I think) that's more like a file than a clipper to trim little bits at a time and avoid risking injury to your tortoise. :p

Good luck and make sure to post some more photos of "Natasha" with her sexy new upper lip: Before and After. :D

TortoisesRock!

5 Year Member
Thanks for the tips! I feel bad that I've probably confused my tortoise this whole time, the people that we rescued her from said "she" was a she, but I now believe it's a HE! :)

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
Post some photos of her plastron (bottom shell), zeroing in on the lower half and tail, and Danny or Yvonne or GB will make an educated guess at the "Boris" or "Natasha" issue. :D

Don't worry, she won't be the first or only tortoise on this forum to have lived as both a male and a female...;)

-ryan-

5 Year Member
Post some pics so we can tell the sex, but I don't usually trim beaks. You can offer cuttlebone, and some of them will take that. Usually what I do is a few times a week toss in a whole head of romaine. My group makes short work of the lettuce and then attack the tough stalk, which over time helps keep their beaks in check (some of mine had enormous beaks when I got them). With just one tort you obviously would not want to throw in a whole head of romaine, but if you end up with 'stalk' or whatever it is called, you don't have to throw it out! :)

TortoisesRock!

5 Year Member
Here's some pics of the plastron 1 from "her?" rightside up and the other is her on her back. From other pics I've seen, I do believe that its male, which would mean a name change, Franklin!

Attachments

• IMG_0430.jpg
    IMG_0430.jpg
    338.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0435.jpg
    IMG_0435.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0436.jpg
    IMG_0436.jpg
    363.4 KB · Views: 17

TortoisesRock!

5 Year Member
Thanks, I'm glad I've got the gender right now, The poor guy has spent almost all his life so far with people calling him a girl. He finally has a "manly" name, Franklin :)

Status
Not open for further replies.