Beak Deformity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
West Bloomfield MI
So as some of you probably know my Russian has a shell deformity. Since getting her we have been actively working to trim her beak (I have taken her to the vet three times over the whole beak issue) and it is looking a lot better. One side of her bottom beak is thicker than the other. It's almost like one side is thicker and doesn't curve in on the right side of her face. Her top beak is nice and has been evened out but the bottom doesn't line up properly. I took her to the vet yet again because even after working on it and filing it for months now it's still not perfect. :( He thinks it's a deformity. I asked if it will get better over time now that she has proper lighting and nutrition but he was unsure.
Has anyone seen this before? Is this likely a birth defect or also from the malnutrition and lighting issues she suffered? Can we make it better?
I am not too worried. I was at first because I was told that it would effect her eating. No worries there, she eats like a champ. He said she is healthy.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
she eats like a champ.

I think that this is the most important here....if the beak has been pushed out of sorts due to the over growth then there may be a permanent off set...however, what is really perfect anyways... :D

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
ascott said:
she eats like a champ.

I think that this is the most important here....if the beak has been pushed out of sorts due to the over growth then there may be a permanent off set...however, what is really perfect anyways... :D

I agree but wondered if the beak would reform correctly as it grows out. She is perfect in her own way. It pains me when I look at her shell and her beak that the woman who had her, though she loved her so much, caused her long term damage. :(
She has the sweetest personality. She comes when called like a dog and is very active and healthy.. so that is her perfection :tort:

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
It is possible for it to grow out normally. But it will take several years if it happens at all. I had one who came in with a horrible beak. I kept it trimmed enough so he could eat, and that was about it. Left him in very healthy conditions and after a few years i was used to his funky little smile.. then lo and behold i went out ond day and it was as if his entire nose had fallen off!! He looked like as entirely different tort! The overgrowth had literally been replaced by healthy tissue from underneath and had been shed just like a nasty unnecessary scale.
Now years later, his healthy good looks are still around.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
kanalomele said:
It is possible for it to grow out normally. But it will take several years if it happens at all. I had one who came in with a horrible beak. I kept it trimmed enough so he could eat, and that was about it. Left him in very healthy conditions and after a few years i was used to his funky little smile.. then lo and behold i went out ond day and it was as if his entire nose had fallen off!! He looked like as entirely different tort! The overgrowth had literally been replaced by healthy tissue from underneath and had been shed just like a nasty unnecessary scale.
Now years later, his healthy good looks are still around.

That makes me happy too.
When I see her from the side it looks like she is sticking her tongue out at me. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.