Big Enough for Winter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarissaRelf

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
Hello. I was looking around online for one of those Christmas Tree Storage Boxes I've heard a lot of TF members use during winter when necessary. I found a bunch but they we way out of my minimum-wage, high school student budget. But I did find this: http://m.homedepot.com/p/Rubbermaid-54-Gallon-Roughneck-Hi-Top-Tote-FG3A05H2MICBL/100673965/ a 54 gallon tote. This is the largest one I've seen so far that's not specifically made for a Christmas tree. I was wondering if it would be large enough for one 5.5" Russian. It's in my price range and also looks very durable. Thank you :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The Christmas Tree Storage Bin by Iris is around $40.

You can't go by "gallons" because gallons includes from the floor to the top. You need something that has a very big floor space. What are the dimensions of the pictured bin, not gallons.

MarissaRelf

5 Year Member
Oregon
43"x22"x19"

The iris ones around here are between $68 and $80

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, that one would be big enough.

I've noticed that the same Iris bin costs more or less depending upon where you buy it. The normal price is $39.95. Everyone should shop around and find one for that price.

I've seen Christmas wrap storage bins for around $20 and they look long enough, but the sides don't seem high enough.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
The 52" long, 14" high Isis Christmas Tree storage bins were at Walmart last year right after Xmas for about $30.
Might be worth holding out for....

But the 54gal totes would work as an indoor enclosure in winter, especially if you could work something out for the warmer months outside. ;)

MarissaRelf

5 Year Member
Oregon
Yeah we got Fluffy in mid October this year and she hasn't been able to get outside permantly because of the wet weather. She will definately be living outside this summer. :)

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
At walmart there are also storage bins made for under a bed. They may not be tall enough for a larger russian but they will definitely offer you the most floor space if you could make one work.

MarissaRelf

5 Year Member
Oregon
I think I will just get this one and see how things go. I'll try to set it up with as much roaming space as possible.

My plan (I think):
-Get the tote and organic potting soil at Home Depot
-Fill the tote with about 6" on the low side
-Add a 1/2 log hide and cover it with dirt. Making a hill.
-add a ramp and more dirt to make a Flat level above the hide.
-Add flat rocks around and under basking area.
-Heat and UV lamp on one end
- cover 3/4 of the tote (where the light aren't) with the lid to keep humidity up
- add extras.

Anything else?

I'm going to get the things tmr and I will post pics.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
That sounds good.
I ended up sticking two 54 gal totes together with a pass through door. This worked very well.
Eventually, if you find your tort needs more room, your plan allows for the flexibility to do this.

BTW, those 54 gal totes have a sort of ledge partway up. I was able to wedge a piece of wood on one end for a hide. If you could secure it with a couple of screws, and add a ramp, it would make a nice second level.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Someone was saying wait till Christmas they get cheaper the 54 gallon ones are decent just not wide but better then nothing.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Millerlite said:
Someone was saying wait till Christmas they get cheaper the 54 gallon ones are decent just not wide but better then nothing.

I may have been one of them, the Xmas totes are really nice: 52"x14" high, (can't remember width but just under 2', I think). After Xmas they were $30 at our Walmart.

Still, you can get creative with the 54 gal totes, even combining two together.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've noticed this year that there are two different Christmas Tree Storage bins made by Iris. The new one seems to have some sort of gismo in the middle of one side. Can't tell from the picture what that is, but that one costs around $90.

I saw our $40 bin on sale at STACKSandSTACKS in a banner ad across the top of our forum page, but when I clicked on it the only one that comes up is the $90 one. It sort of looks like we may be S.O.L. this year. I'm glad I bought two of them last year.

sueb4653

5 Year Member
Pueblo West
Millerlite said:
I use 2 54 gal totes put together its works rather well
DSCN0959.jpg

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
emysemys said:
I saw our $40 bin on sale at STACKSandSTACKS in a banner ad across the top of our forum page, but when I clicked on it the only one that comes up is the $90 one. It sort of looks like we may be S.O.L. this year. I'm glad I bought two of them last year.

Why can't they leave well enough alone for us tort owners? :(

sueb4653 said:
DSCN0959.jpg

NIIICE. Do you have another view of exactly how you connected them? Did you just cut a big window out of both sides and then duct tape?

sueb4653

5 Year Member
Pueblo West
lynnedit said:
emysemys said:

Why can't they leave well enough alone for us tort owners? :(

sueb4653 said:
DSCN0959.jpg

NIIICE. Do you have another view of exactly how you connected them? Did you just cut a big window out of both sides and then duct tape?
I used a piece of the side I cut out to lay over the two totes on the bottom I then heated it a little so as it would bend to form some, then got the old duct tape and taped everything together
hoping that some day my hubby will make me a real indoor table

Status
Not open for further replies.