Big Ethiopian leopard

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
I guess this proves that G.p.babcocki do have the potential to grow bigger than the G.p.pardalis. Great pic too!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
squamata said:
I wonder why the larger leopards are found on opposite ends of the range?

What was the history of this animal?Was it caught locally or did the owner capture him while on a trip to Ethiopia,possibly trade a goat for it and have no idea of its origin?What did the owner tell you about this animal Tom?

Both of these larger types we are discussing defy the norm with reptiles which is that they generally get larger as you get closer to the equator. Its sort of interesting to me that mammals tend to get larger the farther away from the equator you get, wolves, coyotes, ravens, lynx, cervids, etc... whereas reptiles are just the opposite, pythons, monitors, turtles crocodilians, etc... I find the exceptions interesting. Argentine Tegus, Ethiopian AND Cape leopards, the hellbender (I know, amphibian), etc...

The place was sort of like a Flying J here in the states. We weren't there for long and I didn't ask any body about him. There was a clerk in the shop and the usual pump attendants in their blue jumpsuits, but I doubt anybody there would have known much about him anyway. We got our gas and got moving again pretty quickly. I just marveled at him for a couple of minutes by myself. Nobody who was in our convoy was the least bit interested in tortoises, so it was a novelty that only I really appreciated. He did not look like the Ethiopian ones, so I would guess he was more like the "Carjack" one noted above. Like a typical guy, I may be over-estimating the length, but it really was close to 30". Might have only been 28", but it could also very well have been 32". He was very close in size to the really big sulcatas that we typically see, but like I said, much higher domed.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
I'm still trying to figure out the point to this "truck stop" tortoise story...

Tom said:
squamata said:
I wonder why the larger leopards are found on opposite ends of the range?

What was the history of this animal?Was it caught locally or did the owner capture him while on a trip to Ethiopia,possibly trade a goat for it and have no idea of its origin?What did the owner tell you about this animal Tom?

Both of these larger types we are discussing defy the norm with reptiles which is that they generally get larger as you get closer to the equator. Its sort of interesting to me that mammals tend to get larger the farther away from the equator you get, wolves, coyotes, ravens, lynx, cervids, etc... whereas reptiles are just the opposite, pythons, monitors, turtles crocodilians, etc... I find the exceptions interesting. Argentine Tegus, Ethiopian AND Cape leopards, the hellbender (I know, amphibian), etc...

The place was sort of like a Flying J here in the states. We weren't there for long and I didn't ask any body about him. There was a clerk in the shop and the usual pump attendants in their blue jumpsuits, but I doubt anybody there would have known much about him anyway. We got our gas and got moving again pretty quickly. I just marveled at him for a couple of minutes by myself. Nobody who was in our convoy was the least bit interested in tortoises, so it was a novelty that only I really appreciated. He did not look like the Ethiopian ones, so I would guess he was more like the "Carjack" one noted above. Like a typical guy, I may be over-estimating the length, but it really was close to 30". Might have only been 28", but it could also very well have been 32". He was very close in size to the really big sulcatas that we typically see, but like I said, much higher domed.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Well, what don't you get? I've explained it in detail several times.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Your point. What is the point of telling that story on this particular thread. Are you tryng to disprove the Fifes and many others? Are you still holding onto your belief that Cape Leopards are larger than Ethiopian/Somalian Leopards? Why the random truck stop story on this particular thread. Are you stating that if that particular tort is over 30" then its a Ethiopian living in SA? Its funny that you brought it up on this Ethiopian thread. Yes, you have explained several times your recant of the story, that doesnt mean it has a point.

Tom said:

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Thank you for the insightful vignette, Tom.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
onarock said:
Your point. What is the point of telling that story on this particular thread. Are you tryng to disprove the Fifes and many others? Are you still holding onto your belief that Cape Leopards are larger than Ethiopian/Somalian Leopards? Why the random truck stop story on this particular thread. Are you stating that if that particular tort is over 30" then its a Ethiopian living in SA? Its funny that you brought it up on this Ethiopian thread. Yes, you have explained several times your recant of the story, that doesnt mean it has a point.

Tom said:

This is a tortoise forum. We talk about interesting tortoise things here. Seems appropriate to me to discuss an unusually large specimen of tortoise on a thread about unusually large tortoises. I'd sure like to hear about other people's interesting tortoise stories on one of my threads.

My point was sharing a tortoise story with other people who share an interest in tortoises. That's all.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
What is unusual about those Ethiopian/Somali leopards? They are a group of tortoises, I dont see them as being any more unusual than Galops, Aldabs or Greeks

[/quote]
Seems appropriate to me to discuss an unusually large specimen of tortoise on a thread about unusually large tortoises.
[/quote]

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Will you just knock it off already. Really. What is YOUR point? If you don't have something constructive to say, I'm really not interested.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
My point is this. Youve posted over and over again in a "as a matter of fact" way that gpp are larger than gpb a fact that is just not true. When others posted about the Ethiopian/Somalian leopards you dismissed them as some sort of mythological creature and argued it to no end. Now, when people start posting about them with pictures you bring up this story about a 30"+ leopard that you saw in SA. Maybe you did, maybe you didnt, seems awkward since it had no relevance to that point. When the lady in SA posted pics of the Aldabs you wrote "those are EXACTLY what I was talking about!!!", "they must be the same type from the same area" (referring to the truck stop tort) in some sort of attempt to remain correct. I found Maritha's thread very interesting for a number of reasons. Thought I would read some of Toms famous dont interbreed them commentary, instead what I was reading was I want to import some. I think consistancy is in order, not hypocracy

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Paul:

I think you're trying to read between the lines and missing the point. Tom wasn't refuting or one-upping or nay-saying about the original post or the Fife's picture. He was merely adding an anecdote to the thread. Sort of like:

1st person: I saw a blue jay this a.m.

2nd person: Oh really? I saw a robin.

Just adding to the story, not trying to take anything away from it.

John

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Paul:

I think you're trying to read between the lines and missing the point. Tom wasn't refuting or one-upping or nay-saying about the original post or the Fife's picture. He was merely adding an anecdote to the thread. Sort of like:

1st person: I saw a blue jay this a.m.

2nd person: Oh really? I saw a robin.

Just adding to the story, not trying to take anything away from it.

lol, nice try

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Lately, unfortunately.. yes.. but its because there is passion and excitment, not all feel the same...
Dont run away Baoh... its just a small part of what goes on here..
its a large group and sometimes.......

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
From my experience, it's really hard to judge the context of online words. Since it's hard to put sarcasm, anger, just chit chatting or putting an opinion or personal thing out in the open....

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
onarock said:
My point is this. Youve posted over and over again in a "as a matter of fact" way that gpp are larger than gpb a fact that is just not true. When others posted about the Ethiopian/Somalian leopards you dismissed them as some sort of mythological creature and argued it to no end. Now, when people start posting about them with pictures you bring up this story about a 30"+ leopard that you saw in SA. Maybe you did, maybe you didnt, seems awkward since it had no relevance to that point. When the lady in SA posted pics of the Aldabs you wrote "those are EXACTLY what I was talking about!!!", "they must be the same type from the same area" (referring to the truck stop tort) in some sort of attempt to remain correct. I found Maritha's thread very interesting for a number of reasons. Thought I would read some of Toms famous dont interbreed them commentary, instead what I was reading was I want to import some. I think consistancy is in order, not hypocracy

PM sent.

Baoh said:
Is it often this way here?

No. No its not. Paul and I seem to have this "thing" going. My apologies for it becoming public again. We have now taken it private again. My apologies to the OP too.

Status
Not open for further replies.