Bio-active gnat problem

Dinosaur_Owner

Location (City and/or State)
Missoula Montana
Hello all I need a little advice on my Bio-active terrarium. There is a growing gnat problem in the tank that really needs to be worked on. I have read other threads where people say that the only way to kill them is to bake the soil. However I am hoping for some alternative ideas because aside from the gnats the ecosystem is pretty healthy. The ecosystem includes one six-month old red foot tortoise, ten hermit crabs, earth worms, springtails, a few pill bugs, and live plants planted straight into the soil. This is in a 90gallon terrarium btw. Any who the bio-active terrarium in every other regard is maturing rather nicely and I don't want to have to start over because of the damn gnats. Does anyone have any ideas on living organisms I could add to keep the gnats in check? I don't think I need them completely eradicated just greatly reduced. I was thinking about maybe adding a few poison dart frogs? (The tortoise does eat a earth worm or pill bug every once in awhile but never shows any food interest in the crabs. Plus I assume the frogs could easily outrun the tortoise if he went after them.) Or maybe a pitcher plant? But what if the crabs fall in? I guess I could always find a way to suspend it off the ground. Any advise or suggestions is appreciated. thanks.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
There is a fruit fly and regular fly traps that you could use if you can put them someplace where they wouldn't be knocked over. They come with a bait or you can use your own. Some water in them with raw hamburger works good for flies and sugar water works good for fruit flies. I would imagine one or the other would attract the gnats. They aren't expensive and may be worth trying.

waretrop

5 Year Member
NE Pa. Zone 5
If you have the patience I have the answer.....Is this near the kitchen? Have you had bananas in the house? First you should find out how you got them or THAT will cause them to come back. Next if the tank is too very wet with no dry out time, they may happen also.

So probably you would use apple cider vinegar put just half inch in a solo glass or a, glass, glass. Then put saran wrap over the top of the glass and tape around the top or rubber band it on. Then poke holes in the wrap with a tooth pick. Make them twice as large of the toothpick.

Now you have to figure out where to put it. You could set it near the tank or find a way to put it in the tank. create a small shelf and take it to the corner. Well, you can figure that out.

So anyway, it will take some time but they will be attracted to the liquid go through the holes and never come out again. You will be amazed about how cool it is. They will be floating in the liquid, not doing the backstroke. It may take weeks for you to rid yourself of them but you will see something in just a day.

upload_2017-8-27_9-47-4.png

upload_2017-8-27_10-0-22.jpeg

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
The last time I had a problem with gnats I gave them a place to lay their eggs other than the torts food. I used the tops from milk jugs with a small piece of either banana or peach and changed it daily throwing the eggs away. It didn't take long to reduce their numbers.Doing it this wont kill the adults but less eggs hatching means less adults in the future.