Bioactive substrate

musiclover18

Location (City and/or State)
ontario
Hi I am looking at changing my substrate over to something that holds more humidity and I have heard about bioactive substrate so I have some questions
1. what does bioactive substrate entail? I have heard mixed reviews of what people use for it.
2. Would the bugs in the bioactive substrate leave the enclosure? I have a partly open top to my enclosure and I am worried about bugs getting around my house.
3. What are the pros and cons to this substrate?

S2G

AL
Well bioactive is just a catch phrase used to sell you things. Your just doing a vivarium. What it basically entails is adding springtails & isopods. Your dirt will naturally develop bacteria & cycle like a fish tank filter. The bugs won't get out & if they did they would dry out anyway. You want live plants & a well draining substrate. All pro's if you do it right. If you add the wrong type substrate you'll create a swamp or litter box.

I kept dart frogs forever & this is standard issue stuff in that world. Once your plants take root & your bacteria builds it will basically be like natural dirt breaking down waste. If the enclosure is too small your waste will overload the system.

musiclover18

ontario
Well bioactive is just a catch phrase used to sell you things. Your just doing a vivarium. What it basically entails is adding springtails & isopods. Your dirt will naturally develop bacteria & cycle like a fish tank filter. The bugs won't get out & if they did they would dry out anyway. You want live plants & a well draining substrate. All pro's if you do it right. If you add the wrong type substrate you'll create a swamp or litter box.

I kept dart frogs forever & this is standard issue stuff in that world. Once your plants take root & your bacteria builds it will basically be like natural dirt breaking down waste. If the enclosure is too small your waste will overload the system.
Whats a good way to set up drainage in a wooden enclosure for a redfoot that likes to hide in the substrate