Black marks on top of shell

P3pp3r

Location (City and/or State)
Dorchester, Dorset
Hi, can anyone identify what these marks are, I took my marginated tortoise (4yrs, make) to the vet for a health check and voiced about these marks , he said the arnt mark isnt damp in anyway and the shell isn’t soft in the area so keep an eye, but I noticed it’s spread more than it was afew weeks ago, my initial thought was check the basking lamp - it was too low and hot so I thought perhaps it could have a burn spot but I’ve raised the lamp so the temp is 30 under the hot spot afew weeks ago and I’ve noticed even doing that that the dark marks appear to have spread alittle further, has anyone else seen this so I can go back to the vet with more knowledge, ps his shell is wet in the pic as he is in his bath , so grateful for any help in advance, kindest regards
IMG_4101.jpeg

P3pp3r

Dorchester, Dorset
What kind of basking bulb are you using?
30 is too low for basking. Needs to be 38C
Oh thank you I will research into it, I did check with the vet on the health check and he said it was ok but I will defo go look into this more thanks , I use the combined heat and Uv bulb , D3 I think it was called

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Use a tube fluorescent for light and uvb.
Incandescent flood bulb for basking
Ceramic heat emitter for added day heat and for night heat.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Oh thank you I will research into it, I did check with the vet on the health check and he said it was ok but I will defo go look into this more thanks , I use the combined heat and Uv bulb , D3 I think it was called
I'm with WELLINGTON on this.
Those "combined" or "3in1" bulbs do nothing well. Although in theory, they seem just fantastic.
Many of us have purchased them not knowing that (Ahem) and they're expensive.
(I secretly have a box full of them in my garage that I just can't seem to throw away)