Bladder stones HELP??

Squirtle's mom

Location (City and/or State)
Pacific Northwest
So i noticed this morning that Squirtle's tail was sticking outward (which he typically keeps tucked) and it looked irritated as the bottom looked red and swollen. I couldn't really do anything bc I was heading to school but when I got back I noted he was in the same spot. I put him in some warm water then headed to soccer practice and when I got back I noticed that the water was murky and there was a chunk of something hard and white. I've looked online and I'm pretty sure he's got a bladder stone. He's still trying to pass it (It's pretty gross but i picked him up and looked at his tail and yep, theres more up there). I read that some people try to help break it up with tweezers or tooth pick but I do NOT want to hurt him and I dont trust myself enough for that. I did read that some people helped by using coconut oil but how would i do that?? (I don't know if they can ingest it and I don't want to risk it if he does). How long can I wait until I can see the vet?? is there any hope he will be able to pass it on his own?? and if so, how can I help?? anything helps!! (he's a Russian if thats important)

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
I wish I had more knowledge as it sounds like a tough situation - @Yvonne G can probably offer some good advice, or point you in the right direction.

ScStange891

Pennsylvania
What kind of tortoise are we talking about? My baby Russian had something similar and it ended up being hardened uric acid (a urate stone). What does the one he passed smell like (gross question, but it might help identify). Keep putting him in warm water until the rest passes. Also do a search on the forum for mineral oil...I believe this is also sometimes used for certain blockages.

If it does turn out to be a urate stone, I'd make sure he gets more soaks for awhile to make sure he's adequately hydrated, and maybe decrease the protein content of his food (by a little). Not an expert by any means, but that's the advice I got and what I did when the same happened to my little one.

Squirtle's mom

Pacific Northwest
What kind of tortoise are we talking about? My baby Russian had something similar and it ended up being hardened uric acid (a urate stone). What does the one he passed smell like (gross question, but it might help identify). Keep putting him in warm water until the rest passes. Also do a search on the forum for mineral oil...I believe this is also sometimes used for certain blockages.

If it does turn out to be a urate stone, I'd make sure he gets more soaks for awhile to make sure he's adequately hydrated, and maybe decrease the protein content of his food (by a little). Not an expert by any means, but that's the advice I got and what I did when the same happened to my little one.

we took him to the vet bc he wasn't passing more even with the warm water, it was definitely a badder stone (basically the same thing as urate stone). The vet said it might be because of his diet and hydration like you said. He's fine now (although the vets were shocked at the size of the stone, im glad it was in two parts or they would have had to do surgery). they said I should switch to a spring mix, what kinds of food do you suggest for a decrease in protein?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is a hydration issue. Spring mix is not a very good diet, and it can still cause this problem with inadequate hydration, along with other problems due to its lack of fiber and lack of correct nutrition. Spring mix is okay once in a while, but not as a daily staple.

Because you had this issue, I would soak daily for a month. Use a tall sided, opaque container, and use warm water about 1/3 to 1/2 way up the shell. Soak for about 40 minutes a day and make sure the water stays warm the whole time.

After a month, taper it down to 3-4 times a week and continue that for a long while.