Bonding?

Whitneyrae

I was wondering how all of you have bonded with your torts and gained their trust. I put clean towels on the floor and try to interact with Izzy but she seems scared and I really don't want to stress her out, I would also be thrilled if she would eat out of my hand. Any tried and true tricks and tips would be much appreciated! :)

HJ1983

Location (City and/or State)
New York City
I don't know if I've bonded with Killer. But he seems to think that when my hands are in his enclosure there's food. He will run to wherever I am tinkering and try to bite my fingers. Our bond goes as far as I feed him and he eats it.

When he's not trying to bite my fingers I rub his head and neck and his shell. Not sure how he feels about it but he lets me. I hand fed him first day he arrived here. I just offered him food and he ate it. Try offering the first thing in the morning before you serve the salad. But your guy is new so maybe in a few days he will try.

I don't know that tortoises bond with humans. We are just food magicians to them.

Whitneyrae

Thanks! I was really worried about stressig her out by taking her out of her enclosure and letting her run around on a towel, I hope she settles in soon and won't be so jumpy

RussianTortxo

5 Year Member
Florida
Tortoises tend to be social creatures. My russian tortoise when I'm on my bed with his towel and blanket letting him walk around, he always will walk up to me and has even come to me when i called his name, he turned his head and turned right around and walked over to me. He even will lift his arm and scratch me if he wants attention. The best thing I can advise is just give it time but also handle the tort everyday a little at a time. I feed Arnold at the same time everyday so he knows that once he's ate everything in his bowl he is done unless I give him a little treat later on but that way, when I walk in my room or walk up to his enclosure, he walks right over to me and will just stare at me or make noise so I let him out. When I let him sit with me on my bed (on the floor and I supervise obviously) I tuck him in and he will sleep. ImageUploadedByTortForum1395928479.315170.jpg

It is possible to bond with a tortoise, just be patient and see how it goes :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tortoises don't "bond" with anyone or anything. Not in the way social pack animals do. As long as their food, water and shelter needs are met, they don't care who is, or isn't, around. Come to think of it, they don't "care" who is around even if their needs are not met...

You can get them to desensitize and become less afraid of you. You can get them to associate you with positive things like food and warmth, but you can't get them to "love" you. Some of them are quicker to get over their natural fears. Some of them are quicker to make those positive associations, but anyone with a tortoise that hides from them or is not interested in interaction should not feel like they have done something wrong.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
I don't know that enough research or observation has been done to prove or disprove bonding with tortoises but I do know for a fact that mine recognize me and what ever it is I do represent to them. I come to the table with or without food and water and they come running. Anyone else comes up and they run and hide. If I come with the water bottle they will go to the water dish and "jump" into it like it is a game when I have to move them out of the dish to clean and fill it. If they see the food tub, they will climb on the feeding stones and try to be first in line to get to the goods, so I know they do learn and know what is going on around them. I in no way think they love me or want to be covered in pets and kisses in the manner my dog does, but it is someting.

Whitneyrae

Thanks guys! I've been trying to get her to eat out of my hand and yesterday she actually did it! So I think we are making progress, I'm just going to take it slow and try not to stress her out :)

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I think of my torts like a wild deer or a wild rabbit . You put out food if I'm lucky I might get a pet or two . But I don't grab at them . I don't surprise them . But I put out food and water for them . I always talk soft to them . And yes some let me pet them or stroke them but I let it be their idea not mine .
As you can see I'm always there but for them not the other way . But it all comes together that way.

RussianTortxo

5 Year Member
Florida
Tom, I have to disagree with you here. I think Tortoises can bond with humans and I think they do care who it is. Ethereal1 and I both have evidence of a tortoise enjoying our company without food so I think it definitely is clear that they can bond and interact socially.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I'm with Tom on this.. What he explains confirms my observations.

I think people mis understand their behavior. The viral video of a Leopard tortoise flipping another is a big example of that.

RussianTortxo

5 Year Member
Florida
I don't think it's people misunderstanding their behavior, every individual animal is different. I firmly believe that each animal has a different personality, including tortoises. I interact with my tortoise everyday. I take online classes and am not working so I have a lot of time on my hands to interact with him and talk to him and observe. Maybe the people who don't think a tortoise can "bond" with a person doesn't want to think the animal is capable? I don't know but this is bothering me to have someone say that what I believe is wrong. I know a caterpillar can't socialize with a person, but tortoises aren't dumb and I believe over time That they can recognize a person and learn to love them. Yeah I feed him and take care of him, but when I say his name and tell him to come here, he turns right around from where he was going and walks right up to me and will lift his head up and stare at me. When I sit on the edge of my bed I would just watch Arnold and he would turn his head and see me just sitting there watching and would walk right up to me. I don't think it's fair to tell me I'm misunderstanding my own pet's behavior or that he isn't binding with me. Maybe you've never had that experience but how could a person tell me that what I experience isn't real.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We are talking about two concepts here.
1. Positive (or negative) associations.
2. Desensitization.

These things do not a "bond" make. If I go out of town on a job, my wife, my daughter and even my dogs experience stress, anxiety and distress at my absence. My tortoises could not care less. Their food bowl is full in the morning and their water is clean and fresh. Their sun comes up and goes down, and they do not care if they see my face or not. There is NO "bond". Because they come to me or follow me around when I offer no food or treats, does not mean there is a bond. It means they are not afraid (desensitization), and they have formed positive associations over time. It does not mean they "like" me.

Human bonds, and other primates too for that matter, are MUCH more complex than simple classical conditioning and desensitization techniques. This is not the same thing happening in the brain of a solitary reptile.

Now a human can certainly feel a "bond" with their tortoise, or just about anything else too. Anyone remember "Pet Rocks"? I experience stress and anxiety at being away from my tortoises, but it is not mutual.

Whitneyrae

I think what Tom is saying makes sense, they aren't afraid of us so they come when called or nibble on fingers etc. What matters to me is that my tort is happy, I have bonded with her enough for the two of us, I was more worried about stressing her out by trying to desensitize her and get her some more excercise outside of her enclosure (on clean towels/blankets)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Whitneyrae said:
...I was more worried about stressing her out by trying to desensitize her and get her some more excercise outside of her enclosure (on clean towels/blankets)

Ahh. Now THIS is a different question. Some people like to very gradually desensitize their tortoises in a most gentle and unobtrusive way. I've seen that way work and I'v seen it fail.

Other people just go full blast, stick the enclosure in the middle of the busiest room in the house, and just go about their business and let the tortoise get used to it. I've seen this method succeed and fail too.

This is very arguable either way, and due to the individual tortoise and people personalities involved, I don't think there is a "right" or "wrong" answer to this. I'll bet that people with a little bit of tortoise experience will have some strong recommendations for you on this, while the people with LOTS of experience, will probably sit by silently, as there is not a clear easy answer to this.

marissab

Tortoises tend to be social creatures. My russian tortoise when I'm on my bed with his towel and blanket letting him walk around, he always will walk up to me and has even come to me when i called his name, he turned his head and turned right around and walked over to me. He even will lift his arm and scratch me if he wants attention. The best thing I can advise is just give it time but also handle the tort everyday a little at a time. I feed Arnold at the same time everyday so he knows that once he's ate everything in his bowl he is done unless I give him a little treat later on but that way, when I walk in my room or walk up to his enclosure, he walks right over to me and will just stare at me or make noise so I let him out. When I let him sit with me on my bed (on the floor and I supervise obviously) I tuck him in and he will sleep. View attachment 74516

Hi! I just got my russian tortoise and he's scared when I hold him- how long did it take for your tortoise to warm up to you and start wanting to spend time with you?

Steve_carter

UK
Thanks guys! I've been trying to get her to eat out of my hand and yesterday she actually did it! So I think we are making progress, I'm just going to take it slow and try not to stress her out :)

Great progress. I feel that they might not 'love' you like say dogs or cats but with my Tort after time having him he eats in my hands & does not get scared when I'm around his enclosure or bathing him. He lets me stroke his head. No fear. Maybes he recognises me or my scent & knows there's no threat. Even when i take him out to have a run outside his enclosure I am close to him & he's not wary of me. He just cracks on. When other people are around me as long as I'm the closest he's okay. Anyone else closer he does dip his head in every now & then. Maybes he feels safe around me. Either way it's a great feeling & just enjoy every moment with your tort. They do bring you joy! Welcome to the forum! :)

MZP

Massachusetts
Tortoises tend to be social creatures. My russian tortoise when I'm on my bed with his towel and blanket letting him walk around, he always will walk up to me and has even come to me when i called his name, he turned his head and turned right around and walked over to me. He even will lift his arm and scratch me if he wants attention. The best thing I can advise is just give it time but also handle the tort everyday a little at a time. I feed Arnold at the same time everyday so he knows that once he's ate everything in his bowl he is done unless I give him a little treat later on but that way, when I walk in my room or walk up to his enclosure, he walks right over to me and will just stare at me or make noise so I let him out. When I let him sit with me on my bed (on the floor and I supervise obviously) I tuck him in and he will sleep. View attachment 74516

When I try to hand feed my tortoise or play with him he just walks away how do you get so close?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Tortoises will usually get used to people and more tolerant and less fearful as you spend time with them. Sometimes they will get downright fearless, eventually. Sometimes they stay skittish.
The bonding part is a human emotion.
Loving your tortoise will certainly do no harm to your animal.
And if you feel loved in return. I suppose it doesn't really matter.