books

Status
Not open for further replies.

north 1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster, PA
are there any books out there on pancake tortoises? like there are on russian tortoises? thanks north 1

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't know of any, but I'm not into the pancake tortoise, so haven't really looked. But if you ever find one, be sure to pay attention to the copyright date. Most books are way out of date and new info on tortoise-keeping has made them obsolete.

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
hi, have only seen them in reptile magazines, have not seen any books. maybe some day i could write one. 'lol'

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I'm with Momo here. I've only found passing reference to pancake tortoises in books. The usual, “this odd fellow is a pancake tortoise" type of approach. 15 yrs. or so ago, Reptile Magazine did a center fold article on pancake tortoises which seemed somewhat up to date. Although its oldish now.

north 1

5 Year Member
Lancaster, PA
thanks,I have several articles on pancakes from back issues of reptile magazine, just thought there might be a book.North 1

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Without regard to the date, if the author talks about "what they did" and reports their success or failure, that would still be current valid information. What makes something on care out of date is not so much a species specific protocol of care, but underlying 'general' care that may be incorporated into the text, that is not species specific. All in-situ "wild" tortoise data published provides good ideas for creating a suitable care regiem.

The trap that occurs is doing what is the current protocol of species specific care, which also has much 'general' care infused, that too will become dated over time. It's best to read all you can get, talk to people, like here on this forum, and create your own protocol based on the failures and success of others.

Also consider what is your purpose, to have pets, to have pets and breed them, to have a breeding operation, these things will influence what choices you make for your Pancake care protocols.

Will

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
You are very welcome North 1-I'm always on the look out for good articles and usually print them off for a good reference.
Still wish I had a good complete book on this species though-hint hint to all those more experienced pancake keepers!!!:)

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
We have some that we brought with us from South Africa, so I doubt they can be found here.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Thank you very much.

Amazon has 11 of the “Reptiles of Southern Africa"

Amazon also has the other. Both '88 & 98' editions

Status
Not open for further replies.