Boris, Polina and me :)

KatyB

Hi there, having lurked on the forum for the past week and I've read so much useful information and advice already but really really want/need to know more.

My Boris and Polina are 8 year old (we think), Russian tortoises. They have come to me from a friend who found they were more of a commitment than they could manage. I think I'm their 4th home :(

I've never had tortoises before but I bought a flat with a garden and I love animals so agreed to take them...

OMG I'm SMITTEN! I can't believe how brilliant they are and how completely in love I've become in a week! I've spent the last week reading everything I can and obsessing over their welfare constantly. This forum has been a godsend and very re-assuring whilst I fret over each slightest thing.

It's really obvious that they both love being outside, so what was earmarked as my prime veg growing plot is currently being excavated as prime tortoise real estate and what was my wardrobe is now being converted into their new outdoor resort and i now have a simple clothes rail.

I'm hoping I can gain as much information as I can from everyone on this forum to make Polina and Boris's lives as best as I can make it.

We live in East Sussex, England.

WP_20160514_10_22_08_Pro.jpg WP_20160514_10_24_44_Pro.jpg WP_20160515_10_42_38_Pro (2).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome. I am just up the road in West Kent :)

If you haven't already, please read these for essential reading

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Russian Care Guide
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

You may also find this useful - Outdoor Accommodation in a Colder (UK) Climate
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/outdoor-accommodation-in-a-colder-uk-climate.140866/

It doesn't sound like you have paperwork for these torts, so though can't be legally sold or bred from.

Torts are not social animals. They don't get lonely and they don't need, want or particularly like company. There is always a dominant tortoise and, with pairs, this translates into bully and victim. In a large outdoor enclosure, the risk is reduced, but the chances of them living peaceably forever are slim. You will have to keep an eye on them and separate permanently at some stage in the future.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...together-a-lesson-learned-the-hard-way.94114/

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Katy, and welcome to the Forum!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Good advice from Joe's Mum. One more vote for everything she said.

KatyB

Hello and welcome. I am just up the road in West Kent :)

If you haven't already, please read these for essential reading

It doesn't sound like you have paperwork for these torts, so though can't be legally sold or bred from.

Torts are not social animals. They don't get lonely and they don't need, want or particularly like company. There is always a dominant tortoise and, with pairs, this translates into bully and victim. In a large outdoor enclosure, the risk is reduced, but the chances of them living peaceably forever are slim. You will have to keep an eye on them and separate permanently at some stage in the future.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...together-a-lesson-learned-the-hard-way.94114/

Hi everyone, thanks so much for the lovely lovely welcome.

JoesMum, thanks for this in particular. I've decided I'm going to separate them this weekend although I think it may be too late :(

Boris definitely tries to have sex with Polina, biting and pushing at her a little, although I've only seen him succeed once in the 10 days since I've had them; she usually rebuffs his advances... but I'm not there 24/7. I did ask about it when I was given them as I assumed they were 2 males until they arrived at my house (how bloody naive am I) . The girl who I took them from said "the sound of them having sex was the sound track to her life for a while". Poor Polina :(

Having read more of biochemnerd808's posts and in particular http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/egg-season-has-begun-for-our-russian-tortoises.114843/ . I'm also now thinking she may lay eggs. Yesterday she spent about 3 hours going up and down one side of the temporary outside enclosure. Don't know if this is pacing or checking out her new space? I put a dish similar to the post which she was really interested in. So was Boris but she was literally bulldozing him out the way and off it. She is also dominating the food by sitting on it. I took Boris out yesterday and I've made two feeding stations but it's definitely time to separate.

Now I need to tell the girl, and decide whether I have 2 lots of enclosures or whether I can find a safe and responsible home for one of them.

KatyB

Hi Katy

If you post a good clear photo of the plastron (undershell) and tail of each tort, we can sex them for you.

We also need to know their SCL(Straight Carapace Length) of each. Here's how to measure it
http://www.tlady.clara.net/measure.htm

Once separated they will both thrive.

Thanks JoesMum, I'm just leaving for work now but will do this as soon as i get home. I'm going to contact the The Sussex Chelonian Society today as well. They have a session on Sunday which hopefully they'll let me take them to.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Thanks JoesMum, I'm just leaving for work now but will do this as soon as i get home. I'm going to contact the The Sussex Chelonian Society today as well. They have a session on Sunday which hopefully they'll let me take them to.
Generally speaking you aren't allowed to take torts to any chelonian society. This is disease control.

You may make a friend who will pop round

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Greetings Katy,
I own 5 acres/2.03 hectares here in the Pacific Northwest of the USA. Oregon to be precise, and at times I've had more than 15 russians here at the ranch. At the time I had a large, outdoor enclosure that was very large, it had many straight-line visual barriers lots of healthy organic weeds growing as well as kale and other "human" vegetables and flowers scattered all around so they could live happily and free,(to their tiny brains). Oregon has a similar environment as you from what I understand. They did fine spring-summer-fall. Winter for me/them was the hardest time for maintaining. They all took to brumation just fine on their own, I let them down by not providing the cold, 45°f temperature they required. As a result, many would wake from their indoor slumber, I'd feed and water them and return them to the winter box. Too cold to digest the food properly, I lost something like 5 that first year. True pain inside me and a true loss that I needed to get past. I kept the empty carapaces on the winter cover as a regular reminder.
I tell you all this so you can know that, yes you can learn from others losses and embrace those negative experiences of others and at the same time remember the success stories people post,(even the goofy ones). Ask questions freely by starting a new thread or simply asking for clarification in a thread.
For all of that, a hearty welcome home from the other side of the pond. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1464340273.537539.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1464340368.079063.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1464340517.353485.jpg