bottom of shell flaking!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

UMDRunner

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Duluth, MN
I have had a russian tourtoise for about 2 years now, and just recently the bottom of his shell has begun to flake off a little bit. I noticed it becuase I brought him home for x-mas break and while walking on some longer carpet I noticed a scratching noise. I checked and part of his shell had flaked up.

Is this bad?

What can I do to correct it? Diet, Temp, etc??

Please help!

RTfanatic

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
College Station, TX
Unless it's soft or something it's probably fine as it's probably old shell damage that has healed.

UMDRunner

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Duluth, MN
Its not soft, but it seems to be like a quadrant of his undershell that is like that, should I pull the flakes off?

M

Maggie Cummings

No, don't pull the flakes off. Is the new shell underneath the flakes normal looking and hard? It shouldn't look pink...

UMDRunner

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Duluth, MN
nope its not pink, its like the light color on the top shell

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Can you post a picture of the plastron? That will give us a better idea of whats going on. :)

Danny

UMDRunner

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Duluth, MN
ya, I'll get that up soon, I'm home for the holidays and I don't have a camera here

M

Maggie Cummings

Danny, because he described the flaking as a quadrant makes it sound like normal shedding don't you think? Shedding might not be the correct word, but the fact that it a quadrant, a whole section, sounds relatively normal...

UMDRunner, is the piece coming off clear? If the shell underneath is normal and hard and the piece coming off is clear, I think it's just a normal thing. Post a piture and we'll know for sure...

Status
Not open for further replies.