Quick question about shell rot and shedding

flimsybox

Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina, USA
I'm concerned about my tortie, Tom, who has a white-ish spot on his shell. I would like pictures of actual shell rot, unhealthy flaking and healthy shedding. I googled them, but I can't get a clear distinction because there are so many pictures. Here are a few pics of Tom's shell:

both_by_graeskies-d89pfvr.jpg

I'm worried about the light colored spot in the middle of the red circle, and I'm also worried about the thick light colored ring just above the bottom scutes. I don't want his shell to look like this tortie's (which isn't mine):
1332006680.jpg

Here you see that white ring above bottom scutes. What causes this white ring? What can cause unhealthy flaking of the shell?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Because shell rot is mainly caused by the tortoise sitting in something to cause it (too wet substrate, lots of poop and pee), it starts mainly on the plastron.

When you see little nicks and scrapes on a tortoise's carapace, especially a Russian tortoise, it is just minor shell injuries that have occurred in shipping.

That white ring is new growth.

flimsybox

North Carolina, USA
Because shell rot is mainly caused by the tortoise sitting in something to cause it (too wet substrate, lots of poop and pee), it starts mainly on the plastron.

When you see little nicks and scrapes on a tortoise's carapace, especially a Russian tortoise, it is just minor shell injuries that have occurred in shipping.

That white ring is new growth.
Okay. so the ring is a good thing. cool :) thank you!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
The ring is good thing, yes! He looks pretty good. Shell rot would be a hard thing for russians to get in the wild and captivity, just because they don't need to be absolutely drenched to survive :) He'll shed his skin, too...that's just fine!