White shell ring

Joy Taylor

My 10yo horsfield has just this week developed a thickish white ring around his shell, horizontally. We've only had him 3 weeks ish and feed him weeds from the garden and the odd apple or carrot nibble (really tiny amounts) Any ideas?

Also, any thoughts on a water bowl that he won't climb into, create a thick mud bath and slop about in?!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 24

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
The white area is new growth coming in.

I would not feed apple or carrot. No need for it and its not "good" for them.

He shouldn't need to climb into his water bowl. I don't know what kind you've got, but if its one of those ramped water bowls from the pet store, they are dangerous. Terra cotta plant saucers sunk into the substrate work best. No climbing there.

Using a water bowl that the tortoise is uncomfortable with for any reason can lead to dehydration and all sorts of associated problems. I would recommend you soak your tortoise every other day or so for a couple of weeks if he hasn't been using his water bowl.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
The white area is new growth coming in.

I would not feed apple or carrot. No need for it and its not "good" for them.

He shouldn't need to climb into his water bowl. I don't know what kind you've got, but if its one of those ramped water bowls from the pet store, they are dangerous. Terra cotta plant saucers sunk into the substrate work best. No climbing there.

Using a water bowl that the tortoise is uncomfortable with for any reason can lead to dehydration and all sorts of associated problems. I would recommend you soak your tortoise every other day or so for a couple of weeks if he hasn't been using his water bowl.
Would you please be kind enough to send me a picture of the saucers one's supposed to use. Thank you.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Joy:

Was your question about the water bowl that you're looking for something he WON'T walk through? This is something tortoises do. They like to walk through their water. They like to stand in the water and drink. They like to sit in the water and soak. So providing some sort of waterer that he can't get into would be mean in my opinion. It's just a fact of life that one must change the tortoises water and clean the waterer at least once a day and sometimes more often. So your problem isn't a tortoise/water bowl problem, it's YOUR mind set. Get used to it...that's what they do.

For Gillian:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_94458-303-672019_0__?productId=3047737