boulders, rocks and stones.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

missmoofi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Murcia, Spain
is it best that they are flatish so she can clamber easy over them, Im worried tho if she falls backwards and cant 'right' herself ?

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
If you have the right substrate and accessories she will get back over easier
I Fnd that flat rocks make it worse as she gets her legs stuck and tumbles..
POST PICTURES!

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I believe that it is safer to use stones that tortoises can easily climb over without fear of overturning. I do also use large stones for barriers. I try to ensure that these large stones are big enough so that they must go around them rather than attempt to climb over them.

missmoofi

5 Year Member
Murcia, Spain
tyler0912 said:
If you have the right substrate and accessories she will get back over easier
I Fnd that flat rocks make it worse as she gets her legs stuck and tumbles..
POST PICTURES!

I posted some of the garden area where she lives, but I dont know how to find them now :rolleyes:
she is in a part of my garden that has a palm tree, some pines, a mimosa, honeysuckle (which I think they are OK to eat but not seen LuLu eating any of it yet) and some aloe vera. The area is walled and a couple of areas that have steps up to my terrace areas, but the steps are 4/5" high. There are different levels of light from direct sunlight to total shade. Ive seen her basking on the side of one of the rocks and then she burrows under plants etc...I have a little 'house' for her but she doesnt go in unless I put her in but within a few hours she out and about again.... I want it to be as near to wild conditions as possible

there are some rocks under the palm tress which she seems to negotiate around OK, as you know Hermanns are wild here, so they must come across all sorts of shapes and sizes of rocks, but of course I dont want to risk any problems of her falling.

thanks for any comments

GBtortoises said:
I believe that it is safer to use stones that tortoises can easily climb over without fear of overturning. I do also use large stones for barriers. I try to ensure that these large stones are big enough so that they must go around them rather than attempt to climb over them.

oh OK thanks, I think it does make for a more interesting and varied environment for them and it must help for their exercise needs too :D

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
GBtortoises said:

2nd this.

Status
Not open for further replies.