Box Turtle Glamour Shots

Status
Not open for further replies.

thea lester

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Orleans, LA
Baby Boy in the Bath April 2013.jpgBaby Boy in the Sun, April 2013.jpgBaby Boy,Gulf Coast approx 5 years old, Gigantic! and growing strongSophia in the Sun April 2013.jpg Sophia, 3Toed, has always had that notch out of her scutes above her neck. 28 years together and she's better than ever:tort: Juanita in the Sun April 2013.jpg Juanita, 3Toed, 20 years together. So there they are, I finally hassled my dear turtle friends into a photo shoot. Gave them a good soak and swim and thoroughly pissed them off! Not fans of the paparazzi I guess...
Thea

Last edited by a moderator:

pinkspore

5 Year Member
Santa Barbara, CA
They're beautiful! I'm always amazed at how much variation there is between different individuals in the same species.

thea lester

5 Year Member
New Orleans, LA
Right? I know! When I was a little girl I was super confused by that. I guess I still am. My assumption (and you know what is said about assume) is that Sophia comes from a strain that's influenced by easterns somewhere along the line (bright red eyes, red,orange,yellow forelegs), and Juanita is another 3Toed, definitely a captive bred (very lovely, but rather monochromatic. They are also shaped differently...
I'm sure there are proper answers about this out there, I'd love to hear what folks think!
They are so dear to me, poor things, I used to dress them up when I was little. I made jean jackets with monograms. I shudder to think what all they went through before my family and I learned to properly care for them. A great many thanks to my parents. Who knew I'd have them in my late 30's?!
Thea

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Wow! Amazing how long you have had them! That is just wonderful!! They are beautiful !!!!
I hope you enjoy many more years together!! :) Very special.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I love seeing posts like this Thea. Your box turtles are beautiful. Our oldest box turtle was over 60 years old two years ago. When my Dad first got him he was full grown, and he had him for over 60 years. I wish I could find the pictures of me when I was a baby and then growing up with that old boxie. I think it was last Summer that he never came up from hibernation. My whole family was devastated. My oldest was Nora, an Ornate who I had for over 30 years, when she suddenly died. They are such wonderful, fascinating little guys, aren't they.

thea lester

5 Year Member
New Orleans, LA
Aw, thanks! Your post made me tear up a little. Every spring I'm so ecstatic when they emerge. It's going to be very hard when Sophia passes someday.
Thea

ScottishFish

5 Year Member
Scotland
Very nice torts, thanks for sharing

'Or like the snow falls in the river,
A moment white, then melts forever'
~Robert Burns - Tam O' Shanter

0.0.1 Testudo hermanni boettgeri

Status
Not open for further replies.