American Box Turtles

augie1975

Location (City and/or State)
ontario
Dear Tortoise Forum :

Thank you for your wonderful site that has given me invaluable information in raising box turtles up here in Canada. Except for the Eastern Box, all of the turtles were raised from hatchlings and have thrived. Most of them were from Julie of CBC Turtles and Tortoises in Quebec. All have made wonderful pets. These creatures have been a real blessing during the last 2 years especially.

Their good health is due in large part to this wonderful site full of caring knowledgeable individuals.

Thank You TF !!

Greg

aka Augie1975 {My first turtle, a red-eared slider female back in 1975 }

Eastern male 20 y/o ; Three Toed male 4.5 y/o ; Florida female 4 y/o ; Gulf Coast female [Florida type ] 3 y/o ; Gulf Coast female [Mississippi type] 2 y/o ; Ornate male 4.5 y/o [ now at a box turtle wildlife preserve] ; where they all live during winter [except for the alpha male Eastern who is by himself ].

Attachments

• Brave 17Mar22.jpg
    Brave 17Mar22.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 23
  • Indoor Enclosure 8 x 3 ft.jpg
    Indoor Enclosure 8 x 3 ft.jpg
    555.1 KB · Views: 24
  • Frankie 07.jpg
    Frankie 07.jpg
    416.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Iasis 51.jpg
    Iasis 51.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 23
  • Hope 17Mar2022b.jpg
    Hope 17Mar2022b.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 22
  • Deasis 43.jpg
    Deasis 43.jpg
    599.9 KB · Views: 22
  • Earnie 17Mar22d.jpg
    Earnie 17Mar22d.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 24

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
Quick question.

Do your box turtles crawl in their shell when you go to grab them? Or are they outgoing little creatures? I am Interested in maybe getting one but I don't know if it would be the best pet if it would just sulk in its shell all day.

Your box turtle looks really adorable btw.🙂

augie1975

ontario
Quick question.

Do your box turtles crawl in their shell when you go to grab them? Or are they outgoing little creatures? I am Interested in maybe getting one but I don't know if it would be the best pet if it would just sulk in its shell all day.

Your box turtle looks really adorable btw.🙂

augie1975

ontario
Dear Thomas: They all have their own personalities. Some are shyer than others. Although being handled probably does not top the highlights of their day, mine don't mind being handled. They kick their feet a bit. One [ the second one ] sometimes goes into his shell. The second last one would run for her life for two years like I was going to eat her. She has settled down of late and doesn't mind being picked up.... now

I don't pick them up a lot. Turtles are primarily observational pets.

I bought a Florida Box decades ago. He would stay in his shell for hours after me just looking at him, let alone picking him up. In retrospect, he was wild-caught and not used to human interaction.

Captive-bred turtles are far more friendly., outgoing and healthy.

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
Dear Thomas: They all have their own personalities. Some are shyer than others. Although being handled probably does not top the highlights of their day, mine don't mind being handled. They kick their feet a bit. One [ the second one ] sometimes goes into his shell. The second last one would run for her life for two years like I was going to eat her. She has settled down of late and doesn't mind being picked up.... now

I don't pick them up a lot. Turtles are primarily observational pets.

I bought a Florida Box decades ago. He would stay in his shell for hours after me just looking at him, let alone picking him up. In retrospect, he was wild-caught and not used to human interaction.

Captive-bred turtles are far more friendly., outgoing and healthy.
Okay. This was very helpful.
Thank you!

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
A few more questions.

1. What temperature do they do best in?
2. Do they need high humidity?
3. Do they need access to a lot of water 24/7 or can they just have a small water dish?
I noticed you have a reasonable amount of water but is that necessary? Or are you just trying to give them the best life they can have?

augie1975

ontario
A few more questions.

1. What temperature do they do best in?
2. Do they need high humidity?
3. Do they need access to a lot of water 24/7 or can they just have a small water dish?
I noticed you have a reasonable amount of water but is that necessary? Or are you just trying to give them the best life they can have?
More experienced herps can correct or add to my take on your question.
:
1. in your enclosure have an area where it is around 75 degrees and one around 85 degrees. They will meander between the 2. ...more in the cooler range. Only my Eastern likes to stay under the heat bulb [60 watts]. for a long time in 80 + temps. The Eastern is closest to the heat bulb and UVB bulb almost always for some reason. With my last herd of Boxies it was the same.
2. Box turtles need humidity. I learned that the hard way the first time around. Otherwise, they get puffy eyes and a host of other problems. 70 to 80 % humidity is ideal. Get a hygrometer to measure the humidity. A spray bottle can be used but I have learned that in a house humidity can dissipate quickly. I do spray in one area and have a tented area in another where I pipe in mist via a mister on a timer. Again the turtle based on his personality and needs will prefer how humidified he wants to be. Half my Box Turtles are now keeping to the highly humid area and the other half in a moderately humid area.

3. My Boxies love red 5 x 11 inch small paint trays : the color ; the size and depth . Replace the water daily or 2ce daily If you have a few trays you can revolve them and save time. My turts love to upend and destroy filters . The Florida one made it her project to uproot and beach any filters or heaters i put in there. They clog too quickly with substrate, as well. Paint trays are simple to clean and my turts love them.

Take care

Attachments

• Indoor Enclosure Water Access.jpg
    Indoor Enclosure Water Access.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 15
  • Indoor Enclosure 4 x 2 feet Blurry.jpg
    Indoor Enclosure 4 x 2 feet Blurry.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
  • Indoor Enclosure 4 x 2 feet.jpg
    Indoor Enclosure 4 x 2 feet.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
More experienced herps can correct or add to my take on your question.
:
1. in your enclosure have an area where it is around 75 degrees and one around 85 degrees. They will meander between the 2. ...more in the cooler range. Only my Eastern likes to stay under the heat bulb [60 watts]. for a long time in 80 + temps. The Eastern is closest to the heat bulb and UVB bulb almost always for some reason. With my last herd of Boxies it was the same.
2. Box turtles need humidity. I learned that the hard way the first time around. Otherwise, they get puffy eyes and a host of other problems. 70 to 80 % humidity is ideal. Get a hygrometer to measure the humidity. A spray bottle can be used but I have learned that in a house humidity can dissipate quickly. I do spray in one area and have a tented area in another where I pipe in mist via a mister on a timer. Again the turtle based on his personality and needs will prefer how humidified he wants to be. Half my Box Turtles are now keeping to the highly humid area and the other half in a moderately humid area.

3. My Boxies love red 5 x 11 inch small paint trays : the color ; the size and depth . Replace the water daily or 2ce daily If you have a few trays you can revolve them and save time. My turts love to upend and destroy filters . The Florida one made it her project to uproot and beach any filters or heaters i put in there. They clog too quickly with substrate, as well. Paint trays are simple to clean and my turts love them.

Take care
Thank you!😃

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
They look great! Thanks for posting the pics................don't know why, but #4 pic, the one facing us, sitting on a row of dowels, she looks, my 1st impression was that she has eggs.........or is really constipated.....LOL

Thanks again for posting the turtle eye-candy!

See, more folks taking great pics, (holding my head in shame, sheer shame)

tamara allen

Hillsboro, OR
Dear Tortoise Forum :

Thank you for your wonderful site that has given me invaluable information in raising box turtles up here in Canada. Except for the Eastern Box, all of the turtles were raised from hatchlings and have thrived. Most of them were from Julie of CBC Turtles and Tortoises in Quebec. All have made wonderful pets. These creatures have been a real blessing during the last 2 years especially.

Their good health is due in large part to this wonderful site full of caring knowledgeable individuals.

Thank You TF !!

Greg

Eastern male 20 y/o ; Three Toed male 4.5 y/o ; Florida female 4 y/o ; Gulf Coast female [Florida type ] 3 y/o ; Gulf Coast female [Mississippi type] 2 y/o ; Ornate male 4.5 y/o [ now at a box turtle wildlife preserve] ; where they all live during winter [except for the alpha male Eastern who is by himself ].
Hi Augie1975,
Your turtles are beautiful. I also have a box turtle. I have had him for 24 years.
You mention a box turtle wildlife preserve. Could you please tell me the name of that preserve or give me more information about it?
Thank you,
Tamara Allen

augie1975

ontario
Hi Augie1975,
Your turtles are beautiful. I also have a box turtle. I have had him for 24 years.
You mention a box turtle wildlife preserve. Could you please tell me the name of that preserve or give me more information about it?
Thank you,
Tamara Allen
It s called Box Turtle Rescue near London Ontario, Canada run by one of the foremost turtle authorities in Canada, Scott Giilingwater https://ca.linkedin.com/in/scott-gillingwater-616869a9. He takes box turtles who need homes. He provides veterinary care and then beautiful free-range habitats. He advertises periodically on Kijiji Canada Box Turtles that he takes in box turtles who need homes. When he is too busy he takes the ad offline. Currently, the ad is not on Kijiji although it was last month.

augie1975

ontario
Dear Tortoise Forum :

Thank You TF !!

Greg

They look great! Thanks for posting the pics................don't know why, but #4 pic, the one facing us, sitting on a row of dowels, she looks, my 1st impression was that she has eggs.........or is really constipated.....LOL

Thanks again for posting the turtle eye-candy!

See, more folks taking great pics, (holding my head in shame, sheer shame)
The above picture's order got jumbled. That one, the Gulf Mississippi one on the dowel carpet, is my smallest and youngest: only 2 years old, With a very very passive male in the pen ....she is definitely not pregnant but is eating like a little horse .

augie1975

ontario
It s called Box Turtle Rescue near London Ontario, Canada run by one of the foremost turtle authorities in Canada, Scott Giilingwater https://ca.linkedin.com/in/scott-gillingwater-616869a9. He takes box turtles who need homes. He provides veterinary care and then beautiful free-range habitats. He advertises periodically on Kijiji Canada Box Turtles that he takes in box turtles who need homes. When he is too busy he takes the ad offline. Currently, the ad is not on Kijiji although it was last month.

The Box Turtle rescue, I alluded to, in Ontario, Canada, briefly ran their ad earlier this year then took it off. It just came back onto Kijiji: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-reptiles-amphibians/city-of-toronto/eastern-box-turtle-sanctuary/1634684649