Box turtle male??

Alethea111

Location (City and/or State)
Joplin
Hey! I have what I thought was a female 3 toed box turtle! She was a rescue I got from someone who had her in a 5 gallon bucket for 2 years!!! Anyways, I’ve had her and another rescue for a bit. Now, she has brown/gold eyes and I always thought that males have red eyes and females have gold or brown eyes. But just the other day I walked in our room that she is kept in and she or I guess he was trying to breed the other turtle!!!!! Anyways! Please if anyone has an explanation please let me know?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you'll post pictures of the underside of the turtle including the tail, we can tell you for sure. Also, mounting is sometimes an aggressive behavior, and females do it too. Yes, males have red eyes, but sometimes brown, and yes, females have brown eyes, but sometimes red! Ha!!

Alethea111

Joplin
If you'll post pictures of the underside of the turtle including the tail, we can tell you for sure. Also, mounting is sometimes an aggressive behavior, and females do it too. Yes, males have red eyes, but sometimes brown, and yes, females have brown eyes, but sometimes red! Ha!!
yes I attached a couple of photos. Thank you(-:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 18

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
Does kind of look like a young male. Their back claws are usually curved like raptors so they're able to pry open the females back shell to mate. While the females aren't as curved; more splayed out. The cloaca is usually closer to the shell with females as well, but I'm not 100%. Like @Yvonne G said. Mounting one another is a trait associated with displaying dominance.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Full adult size. Female: the tail is like an apple with a stem, and the cloaca is an elastic-drawn circle.

The nails may be an artifact of being kept confined without exercise on rough ground.

Expressions of dominance between two animals can worsen from mounting to biting to flipping (and box turtles have been known to drown each other).

Turtles kept in pairs frequently develop problems. The more dominant animal fixates on the more submissive one and begins to pester then bully it to drive it away. Without any other turtles to cause a distraction (and no way for the submissive turtle to leave), fixation can lead to serious aggression. The stress can damage the health of both animals.

It is best for them both to be separated into their own habitat/territory where they can de-stress and be the Diva of their own space.

Alethea111

Joplin
Does kind of look like a young male. Their back claws are usually curved like raptors so they're able to pry open the females back shell to mate. While the females aren't as curved; more splayed out. The cloaca is usually closer to the shell with females as well, but I'm not 100%. Like @Yvonne G said. Mounting one another is a trait associated with displaying dominance.
Hey! Thank you! It’s definitely something I’ve never seen he/she do before but I’ll keep a close eye on her just to make sure shes not picking on the other one(-: