Box Turtle Pride

• Thread starter Maggie Cummings
  • Start date
M

Maggie Cummings

Everybody who knows me knows I generally answer the questions about Sulcata and I generally make threads about Bob. Just recently I have been trying to pay more attention to my box turtles after losing The Goof Ball, I figured maybe I wasn't paying enough attention to them. So I have been trying to be a better box turtle keeper, especially since I now have more box turtles than tortoises. So here's some new photos of my box turtles, especially of Bright Eyes. She's been digging test nests for about a month now, and this is what I found in her habitat today. She was so funny because every time she dug a nest and then left it, I would root around in there with my hand to see if there were any eggs and darned if she didn't dart out of her half log and try to bite me every time! So what was she trying to do, protect the eggs she DIDN'T lay??? Anyhow, she hasn't been with a male in the 11 years I've had her, and dmmj seems to think the birds and the bees have something to do with eggs, but my birds are caged and I don't keep bees, so these eggs are not fertile. But look at the size of them compared to her! She's such a small turtle and the eggs look so big to me.
The other female Ornata I have loves strawberries and bananas, so in this picture she's got a mouth full of banana, but like all the rest she freezes when the camera is pointed at her.
Ginger, my female Eastern, attracted my attention by banging on the glass telling me to take her picture...So I did. Isn't it funny how she always has to have her water saucer on top of her? And last but not least is Torzilla, my Eastern hatchling with his mouth stuffed full of strawberry...
I think box turtles are fun animals to have and I think that we need to promote them more, they sure are easier to keep than tortoises...IMG_2957.JPG IMG_2958.JPG IMG_2960.JPG IMG_2952.JPG IMG_2951.JPG

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Not that I have seen many boxie eggs, once only, but they do look over sized to me too.
Your boxies are very photogenic, even when they freeze frame:D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
One has to wonder how those eggs can fit inside that turtle. My gosh!

747117wei24kafiu.gif

Flipper

MO, USA
ROFL! They are little comedians! I love the under the water dish pic especially :<3:

Thanks for this thread! Very cute :tort:

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
I love box turtles one of my fav species for sure ! I can't wait until I can have some !

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I don't know anything about Box Turtles, but those cute pictures make me want to know them!
What sweet faces!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Those eggs are huge.....You got some lovely Boxie there. They deserve more attention for sure....

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
I don't know anything about Box Turtles, but those cute pictures make me want to know them!
What sweet faces!

I love their little faces too...that's what got me so interested in them! Did a bunch of research and now I have dibs on 5 of Chris' eggs in the incubator. LOL

These guys sure are cute, Maggie. Your little baby is adorable!

M

Maggie Cummings

Thanks everyone...I just wanted to say that all my box turtles have an outside pen where they spend their days. They just come in at night...