Box Turtle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Tortoise95

5 Year Member
Is this a three toe? Hasnt came out of shell. Neighbor found him in middle of street. Also does he need heating if i decide to keep him? And what foods can they eat? Does anyone know if its male or female?

Attachments

• 20120827_094440.jpg
    20120827_094440.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 109

Mr.Tortoise95

5 Year Member
he has 5 claws on his front legs and 3 on the back legs....is he a three toe?

stillframeband

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
That's not a failsafe indicator; there are three-toed's with 4 toes on the back feet, ect., but I'm thinking it probably is a 3 toed. Some of the more experienced people on here might be able to tell definitively from that pic :)

Mr.Tortoise95

5 Year Member
Ok thanks here is more pics...his shell is messed up and painted on....also shouod i soak him like a tortoise?

Mr.Tortoise95 said:
Ok thanks here is more pics...his shell is messed up and painted on....also shouod i soak him like a tortoise?

Pics uploading one at a time....

Another pic

Attachments

• 20120827_094427.jpg
    20120827_094427.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 98
  • 20120827_112026.jpg
    20120827_112026.jpg
    675.6 KB · Views: 125
  • 20120827_111207.jpg
    20120827_111207.jpg
    920 KB · Views: 86

katelyn0974

5 Year Member
Paradise
Aw! That's great you are caring for him/her. Great picture of the turtle in the shell. I don't think I have ever really seen a box turtle all the way in its shell. Thanks for sharing!

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
Yes..this is a three toed boxie...and female....what is on her shell?..looks like paint or maybe missing scutes...can not really tell...she will need heat and water..maybe give her a warm soak...barely warm....see if she will eat something..fruit veggies and some worms..try strawberries and collard greens.....there are a few threads on how to set up an enclosure.....keep me posted....also to give her some nutrition. Soak her in Water with some baby food carrots

Mr.Tortoise95

5 Year Member
Yes she has paint on her shell and i think missing scutes also idk...some are discolored and caved in. I put some meal worms out with her but she hasnt touched them...i will try collard greens....

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
She might be shy to eat in front of you...however you can try holding food near her mouth.....but give her a soak and move slowly around her so she gains your trust

Mr.Tortoise95

5 Year Member
Yeah thats what ive been doing....seems like shes getting less scared. When she sees me she isnt going all the way in her shell like she was when i first got her. I put her in water and she came out of her shell trying to run away when i picked her up

Mr.Tortoise95

5 Year Member
They said it was right down the street.....in turner kck. They seen me taking my sulcata outside and said "we found a turtle a couple weeks ago and let it go in the yard" i looked behind them and there she was...in their driveway. Its funny because i was just thinking about buying a three toe box turtle lol.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
Oh that's great!....ttbt are the best..I have 3 of them and 1 ornate...I want to get more...I am wondering if she was a pet who escaped or was released vs being wild. I really hope you enjoy her..they have great personalities....what state do you live in?

Mr.Tortoise95

5 Year Member
Live in kansas. How can i help grow her shell back and is there a way to get the paint off?

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
I would give her a warm soak and lightly scrub the painted area with a soft toothbrush..it will take some time but in order to not stress the turle do it a little each day...or try to lightly pick with your nails if the paint is lifted a bit...in time it will come off..as far as regrowing the shell that will take a very long time if the scutes are missing...there is nothing you can do but treat her shell with some antifungal cream...unfortunatley if her shell is deformed there is no way to reverse damage..just prevent further damage. In time she will look better..how is her carapace looking?

Mr.Tortoise95

5 Year Member
Looks ok exept for the caved in part....and the paint is really thick....shell is raised where the paint starts

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
Its possible the paint made the scutes raise up..poor thing...ppl don't understand that turtles actually breath thru the shell as well and paints are toxic...you might want to consider a vet check up with her

Status
Not open for further replies.