old eastern box turtle!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jason g.

5 Year Member
This is a box turtle I seen the neighbor kid playing with. I let him know some information about them then talked him in to releasing him back where he found him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cQ8tMfJBwc&feature=youtube_gdata_player
The deal I made with the neighbor kid is that since he was working a summer job detasseling corn that I would help him do the research and help him pick a turtle out that he would like and help build an enclosure. ;) Does anyone have any ideas on a manageable turtle or tort that can deal with middle America temperatures??

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Very nice thing to do....and what a gorgeous turtle....and looked very healthy, plump and wide eyed....

Thanks for sharing....:D

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
Where are you located? If I know where you are at then I would be better able to suggest a species.

jason g.

5 Year Member
Saloli said:
Where are you located? If I know where you are at then I would be better able to suggest a species.

Indiana... I showed him a bunch of different tortoises and turtles. He really liked the red eared sliders, Diamondback tarrapin , and map turtles. Can you keep those kind together?

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
Just so you know it is illegal to sell native turtles in Indiana. Oh and just so you know Eastern Box turtles are protected and Ornates are endangered in your state. The red eared slides get big and do best in ponds. The map turtles and terrapins have specialized diets. You may want to look at so other species due to restrictions.

Here is a link to your dnr http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/3327.htm

Hunahpu

5 Year Member
Colorado
I'm not familiar with Indiana laws, but I'd recommend a three-toed boxie. Quite the personality and easy to care for, but they're usually not as colorful as the easterns.

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
The web site says eastern which is the general term for Terrapene carolina and it's subspecies much like eastern is the general term for Terrapene ornata.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Looking at the DNR laws (Hunting and Fishing) for Indiana, you can posess most aquatic turtles in Indiana (with fishing license if over 17)with exception a few; ie. alligator snapper, spotted, eastern mud and no terrestial turtles. I suggest you checkout the webpage for more info.

Status
Not open for further replies.