Eastern Box Turtle or Eastern/3 Toed Box Turtle Intergrade ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

T0RTIEM0M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Frisco, Texas
Good evening all!

I have a male box turtle we believed to be an Eastern Box Turtle upon adoption 4.5 years ago but now we're not so sure. We think he may actually be an Eastern/3 Toed Box Turtle Intergrade. I was hoping that my fellow box turtle keepers would be able to view my attached photos and assist me with a proper identification.

IMG_20170516_182023.jpg IMG_20170516_182105.jpg IMG_20170516_182155.jpg IMG_20170516_182239.jpg IMG_20170516_182327.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He's a beautiful specimen, but I believe you're correct in your assessment.

T0RTIEM0M

5 Year Member
Frisco, Texas
The 3 toes on the hind feet made me start to question it. I've read in numerous box turtle publications that EBTs usually have 4 toes on their rear feet....BUT.....some EBTs (non-intergrades) can have only 3 toes. I don't own any other EBT males/females as a reference point so I've had to rely solely on internet photos and publications to try to solve this mystery.

Last edited:

jenwhiddon

Texas
I have a three toed female that has four toes on each back foot so I think that isn't always the most identifiable indicator. But your little guy has much more patterning on his carapace than most of the three toed I've seen, so I think he would be more likely to be mixed. You can look into some clues about the way his shell is domed too. I don't remember the exact details but there is info available online about the different species varying in whether they dome more towards the front, center or rear. You can also look into some identifiers regarding certain scutes that are species specific.

Link

East-Central Oklahoma
Definitely shows many of the Eastern traits, but I agree with your assessment as being a hybrid. Color pattern on carapace and body are Eastern, but the plastron appears ornate . The shape of carapase has the lower arching look of the three toed or the ornate. And then of course the three toes. Well just do a DNA test to find out who the parents are :)

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
The 3 toes on the hind feet made me start to question it. I've read in numerous box turtle publications that EBTs usually have 4 toes on their rear feet....BUT.....some EBTs (non-intergrades) can have only 3 toes. I don't own any other EBT males/females as a reference point so I've had to rely solely on internet photos and publications to try to solve this mystery.
It's usually the opposite. Eastern have 4 toes. 3 toed usually have 3 but can sometimes have 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.