Box turtle

PMQ

I really want a tortoise and the hermann's and Russia species appealed to me. The only problem is that they cost 100$+ and I'm not sure if I want to spend that much on the pet alone when I have the enclosure price to deal with as well.

Are box turtles basically tortoises? From what I've seen they are cheaper but will they have the same appeal as a hermann's or Russian tort?

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
Box turtles are land turtles, not tortoises. But yes, they live primarily on land. They like it a bit cooler and a bit more humid/damper than most tortoises. They also eat a large percentage of live food which most tortoises do not. Captive bred box turtle babies are a bit cheaper than most tortoise species, but maybe not by tons.

Kim444

5 Year Member
Hermanns, Russians, red foots and greeks go for $450 here.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
I actually prefer my box turtles to my hermann's and Russians, but that may be because I grew up with them eating my dad's vegetables from the garden. It's a personal choice. Some climates make the keeping of one species easier than the other.

Kim444

5 Year Member
Sulcatas go for 500$ and the prices I mention are all for babies

PMQ

I actually prefer my box turtles to my hermann's and Russians, but that may be because I grew up with them eating my dad's vegetables from the garden. It's a personal choice. Some climates make the keeping of one species easier than the other.
I live in Pittsburgh, PA so idk which species would be better. What breed of box turtle, in your opinion, are best as pets?

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
In Pittsburg you have the legality issue, so you'd end up with something other than an eastern. I think they're all wonderful. I don't think of any if them as pets. It's more that I'm their keeper & observer.

Have you tried Craigslist or pet finder for rescues? I got 2 Russians, a hermann's and an ambo from Craigslist.

Turtle rescue of Long Island is another source of tortoises.

turtlemanfla88

make sure it is a captive born box turtle. I always have/had box turtles. they eat pellets, fruit, and earthworms.