Asian box turtles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
Does anyone here have much experience with captive-bred Asian Box Turtles? I do not yet have any chelonians, but am researching the ones that appeal to me. I understand they're very aquatic and are pretty social. Also endangered in their homeland of China. I like the idea of helping out the endangered ones. I've seen conflicting info as to whether they're suitable for beginners. Thoughts?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I have no information to offer here....however, my post will bump your thread back to the top of the list for another chance for someone who has info to offer to see......:D

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Are you talking C. amboinensis? You should be ok with an adult. I've heard the hatchling/young juveniles can be a little tricky. I had two adult females years ago that I was fond off. A 1/4 land / 3/4 (shallow!) water environment would suit it fine. They spend ALOT of time in the water. The biggest difficulty you'll have is keeping the water clean because you really can't filter it being that it's so shallow at a couple inches, but that's going to be dependant on the size of your enclosure.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Thanks so much! What kind of depth are you thinking of, re "shallow?" Two or 3 inches? 4 or 6 inches?

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
If they're endangered in China, be sure what you purchase is captive-bred. Otherwise, you're doing more harm than good.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I agree whole heartedly. I would ABSOLUTELY only buy captive-bred turtles.

Status
Not open for further replies.