Eastern box turtles in Pa

Hey. I'm new to this forum and and don't have any tortoises yet but im hoping to get an Eastern Box Turtle soon if they're legal. Does anyone know if captive bred Eastern Box Turtles are legal to own in Pa?

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
I'm not sure how it works in PA. They are native to your area. Here in Ohio it is legal to keep them only if we apply for a permit.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I would give them a call and ask specifically about captive bred vs wild caught. I'm sure the ruling posted means illegal to posess any WC Easterns.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
For PA, it's unfortunately a firm NO. Anything native to the state is. Same as NY except NY will allow certain permits unlike PA.

Thanks for all the replies. So would hybrids or or not native box turtles be ok I like the three toed and orantes also.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
No problem guys. PA allows all other subspecies of North American box turtles which includes T. c. bauri, T. c. major, T. c. triunguis, T. o. ornata and T. o. luteola. It's the Eastern box (T. c. carolina) that is completely outlawed.

NY on the other hand is different. They say NO to any subspecies of the Eastern box so this means no to T. c. bauri, T. c. major, T. c. triunguis and of course T. c. carolina. And the reason for this is because they find it too difficult to differentiate the subspecies. Recent taxonomic results may allude to some of these subspecies (T. c. bauri for example) to be elevated to the rank of full species. This may mean that some laws need to change in certain states like NY and NH which is long over due in my humble opinion.

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
Cuora Flavomarginata (Chinese box turtle) would be legal.
Also, I DON'T recommend this but there are a few people breeding ornate x Florida hybrids that can be shipped.

Obdigital

No problem guys. PA allows all other subspecies of North American box turtles which includes T. c. bauri, T. c. major, T. c. triunguis, T. o. ornata and T. o. luteola. It's the Eastern box (T. c. carolina) that is completely outlawed.

NY on the other hand is different. They say NO to any subspecies of the Eastern box so this means no to T. c. bauri, T. c. major, T. c. triunguis and of course T. c. carolina. And the reason for this is because they find it too difficult to differentiate the subspecies. Recent taxonomic results may allude to some of these subspecies (T. c. bauri for example) to be elevated to the rank of full species. This may mean that some laws need to change in certain states like NY and NH which is long over due in my humble opinion.

I was recommended to check with you as I am looking to buy a few Box turtles. Do you sell boxies ?