Diamondback terrapin Q

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
Ones anyone here have diamondback terrapins? I have no turtles yet, and am a rank beginner (who reads a lot!) and I've seen conflicting information as to whether they're suitable for beginners or not. I've had freshwater fish aquariums most of my life- my biggest was 70 gal. I was thinking of a Redfoot for my first tort, but since I'm comfortable managing aquariums, I'm wondering about the diamondback- especially after seeing redfootbreeders (turtletary) website.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't have them either, but my sister did. She learned that if you start the babies out in fresh water, they do quite well and don't need brackish water as they grow to adulthood.

Terry, from the turtletary site, is a member here and he would be more than happy to answer your questions about the DBT.

acrantophis

5 Year Member
As a kid I would keep diamondbacks in brackish water. It's not hard to do. You can use kosher or un iodized salt. Or even better would be salt for a saltwater aquarium. Guppies and mollies do very well in brackish water and breed readily. These guys make excellent supplemental food. And the terrapin will get exercise chasing them around! Terrapins are one of the prettiest aquatic turtles.

jonathan512

5 Year Member
i have a pair of cb DBT's that are thriving in fresh water ,i havent had one problem with them theyre by far my favorite turtles . they differ greatly compared to sliders and other turts theyre very personable ,beautiful in both looks and personality. heres a pic of my duo Frost and Flux

photo-11-1.jpg

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Im sure you would do fine with water turtles if you have experience with aquariums, You might learn something. Turtletary has some very beautiful DBT. Ive heard redfoots are a pretty nice tort I think he knows about redfoots to:D

Status
Not open for further replies.