Diamondback terrapin help!

GotTort

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Does the transition to brackish need to gradual or can they tolerate an abrupt change?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
You can convert right to brackish without a need for a gradual transition.

As Sara replied, it wouldn't make sense to try to divide an existing tank. Not only are you cutting down the size, but you would need totally separate systems - filters, heaters, basking lights.

Great that she is eating. What did she eat? Really need to get her eating stuff with the proper vitamins and minerals. take a look at Anthony's post/video on the best foods available for aquatic turtles.

foxboysracing

10 Year Member!
Oakland, Oregon
My diamondbacks have been in fresh water their whole lives with very minimal issues. My oldest is now 8 or 9 years old. I do have a bit more salinity in my water in my home from my well. All of my fish and other water turtles do well in it though. Good luck to you. DBT's are wonderful pets.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Oh, thank you so much for chiming in!

Hi Pearly... how'd you know?

I was just sitting here posting pics and telling a story like I normally do... and thought I'd talk terrapins for awhile!

Is this a coincidence or what?

Not sure how to [ is it called tag? ]
88130.jpg
@sayitaintcor

try this - there may be questions answered you may be wondering about - http://turtletary.com/diamond-care.html

The only thing that I'm concerned about that Mark mentioned is going too brackish too soon.

And you will always hear those that say they've had terrapins for 25 years in fresh water with no problems.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)

I was just sitting here posting pics and telling a story like I normally do... and thought I'd talk terrapins for awhile!

88130.jpg
@sayitaintcor

try this - there may be questions answered you may be wondering about - http://turtletary.com/diamond-care.html

The only thing that I'm concerned about that Mark mentioned is going too brackish too soon.

And you will always hear those that say they've had terrapins for 25 years in fresh water with no problems.

I know @sayitaintcor hasn't been on the forum since the original post, but for whomever else is interested, I would absolutely go with Terry on this. He is the man when it comes to Diamondback Terrapins.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Take it easy please. So sorry I cannot help. Hope you'll get the help you need soon.

And a warm welcome to the forum!

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
I know @sayitaintcor hasn't been on the forum since the original post, but for whomever else is interested, I would absolutely go with Terry on this. He is the man when it comes to Diamondback Terrapins.

Don't know about that Mark.. both kinda proud of these 2013 hatchlings.. taken last month -

Hatched about 10' from where I'm sitting...

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area

88130.jpg
@sayitaintcor

I've seen pics of your gorgeous diamondbacks and thought you might be able to help here:)