Boy or Girl

Status
Not open for further replies.

franeich

5 Year Member
Anyone care to guess if my almost 2 year old sulcata is a boy or girl.

IMG00008-20110425-1730.jpg

IMG00005-20110425-1714.jpg

DocNezzy

5 Year Member
I would guess male. Too young too be sure though. Someone correct me if I am wrong!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Yours is one of those that could really go either way at this point. I'm leaning toward female, but only just barely. The tail is small-"ish" and the cloacal opening is pretty near the end of it, but...

Aside from male or female, that's a great looking sulcata. Very smooth carapace, and very healthy looking. How was he/she raised from hatchling? Whatever you did obviously worked, so I'd love to know the details.

franeich

5 Year Member
Well where do I start. I keep him outside year around. I only bring him in when we have a really bad windy rain storm or the few nights it gets below freezing. He is in a 2 foot x 4 foot tortoise table with a screened top. I feed him spring mix, lots of mazuri and grass and weeds about once a week while he grazes on the front lawn. I used to keep a cuddle bone in his cage but he never touched it. I do not add calcium. I have a red heat bulb over one side of his cage all the time. That side has a one foot part closed off with just a door and a hole in the top for the heat bulb. I put a umbrella over the half with the bulb when it rains. The other half stays uncovered .I wet the dirt under the heat bulb every few days. I don’t soak as often as I should but he does have a water dish all the time. I will wet his shell every couple of days. Mostly I just feed him in the morning and leave him be the rest of the day until I check to make sure he isn’t upside down at night. I will try to post some pics of his enclosure. I keep having to enlarge the door because he is growing so fast.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have the same problem with my hide box doors too!

I think I remember where you are, but in case I'm wrong, what part of the country are you in? That's a pretty unconventional way to do it, but the results are obviously great. I would love to see pics of your set up. I've been considering doing something like what you described for a while. I know several keepers here on the forum that have had really good results doing something similar. It would be great to see an example from someone like you who is already doing it successfully.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Thanks for the information....yes your tort has a very smooth shell. Tom can surely share his experience of the change of sex from what he thought after about 12 inch size...it's happens to all of us lol. Some of them are more difficult to sex at that age/size.

franeich

5 Year Member
Tom,
I live in La Crescenta California. I came by your ranch one time. You gave me a couple of hissing cockroaches and gave my 3 boys a tour of the animals. They had a great time by the way and still tell people camels dont spit.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
franeich said:
Tom,
I live in La Crescenta California. I came by your ranch one time. You gave me a couple of hissing cockroaches and gave my 3 boys a tour of the animals. They had a great time by the way and still tell people camels dont spit.

Okay good. Just playing it safe and making sure I wasn't confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.