Breeders in Canada?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike 3611

5 Year Member
Hey guys i'm new here, my name is mike and i'm from Newfoundland Canada, I was supposed to be receiving a pair of Russian tortoises today from "Mark's Animals" in the states, however the whole thing seemed someone shady, leaving me to believe that it was some sort of scam. Now i'm very dissapointed because I was really looking forward to this day, but now its all gone out the window. :(

I was just wondering weather you guys knew of any breeders in Canada or of any legitimate breeders who ship to Canada.

Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Mike:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

It is my understanding that Canada doesn't allow shipments of tortoises into the country. I've never heard of Mark's Animals, and a GOOGLE search didn't net any hits. Are you out any money?

I don't know of any breeders in Canada, but maybe some of our Canadian members will be able to help you.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Welcome to the Forum!

The lack of Tortoise breeders in Canada (or rather thier lack of avalability) has long been a problem for our Canadian Friends! Sounds like a Buisness oppertunity to me! (now, if I only wanted to live in Canada! :D )

mike 3611

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Mike:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

It is my understanding that Canada doesn't allow shipments of tortoises into the country. I've never heard of Mark's Animals, and a GOOGLE search didn't net any hits. Are you out any money?

I don't know of any breeders in Canada, but maybe some of our Canadian members will be able to help you.

I believe with the proper permits it is possible to ship to Canada, and no I'm not out any money, I decided not to pay because there is no way in telling weather the breeder is legitimate or not.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and WELCOME :D. I sure hope you didn't lose a lot of money. My understanding also, is that torts can not be shipped to Canada. Even plants and seeds can't be shipped. Hopefully some of the Canadian members can help you out. Good luck. One more thing. Doctors foster and smith just announced they will be shipping to Canada. Not sure if they sell reptiles/torts or if the torts are included in that shipping but my be worth a check.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, Mike...just be very careful. Because what I've heard from some of our Canadian members is that unless you are moving to Canada and bringing your tortoise with you (with the proper permits), tortoises cannot be brought into or shipped across the border.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
I know a leopard breeder here. I was born in Newfoundland by the way moved to Ontario.

mike 3611

5 Year Member
tyguy35 said:
I know a leopard breeder here. I was born in Newfoundland by the way moved to Ontario.

Unfortunately I do not have the space for a leopard tortoise, do you know if they are the only type he breeds?

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
Zamric said:
Welcome to the Forum!

The lack of Tortoise breeders in Canada (or rather thier lack of avalability) has long been a problem for our Canadian Friends! Sounds like a Buisness oppertunity to me! (now, if I only wanted to live in Canada! :D )

I wantthatso bad but can't find any tortoises haha. Well adults that don't cost 5000 dollars

TORTOISEMAN1

5 Year Member
FL
Hello and welcome! good luck with your search..

mike 3611

5 Year Member
Turns out that Mark's Animals was just a scam, luckily I didn't go ahead and purchase. Also no luck finding a Canadian breeder yet. :(

pzowt

5 Year Member
There are apparently a bunch around the Toronto, Ontario area
That's how I got my little Russian and Leopard tortoise!

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
pzowt said:
There are apparently a bunch around the Toronto, Ontario area
That's how I got my little Russian and Leopard tortoise!

Do you know the breeders? Can you give me any info. I
also looking

meagan

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
I am also looking to purchase a few tortoises. I live near toronto in ontario but i am willing to drive a distance to get one. I know I want at least one leopard for sure because I would like for flash (my leopard) to have a friend since he had one but it was my brothers and he took it back when i moved out. Also I am looking for 2 older golden greek tortoises. I have a separate enclosure already so now it is time to find the tortoises. If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.

pemry3

5 Year Member
Hello fellow Canadian. I do know of a breeder in bc, where I got my thb from. Not too sure if he has any Russians or not but he does have others. I know in Canada it is a pain trying to acquire a new tortoise. Let me know if I can be of any help :)

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Hi guys! I live in Toronto and I know 2 good breeders here. There's All Reptiles on Kennedy Rd in the East end and Tails & Scales on Dundas West in the West end. Tails & Scales does ship. I bought a tort from each of them and they are both healthy and beautiful :)

Status
Not open for further replies.