Breeding my redfoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpdhld

5 Year Member
I am wondering about getting a male and and try breeding the tortoises.... What age is good for breeding? How often to they lay eggs? How many at a time? Is there any good forums on breeding? Any info will be great! 😉

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
This forum is the best for getting any information on tortoise breeding, husbandry, feeding, even medical problems. First you need to know the factors to take into consideration before breeding.

1. Your going to need to allow a much more sizable area if the two are kept together. This can pose problems for some people during winter months and have no enough room to seperate them or keep them in a large enclosure. males can stress out females and cause even death. So a larger enclosure is a must.

2. Size, and health. Female redfoots usually start to lay eggs as early as 9" in length. Typically will become good egg layers around 11+" in size. usually 10 years with good husbandry.

3. Males size. Lots of times given the watermelon shape of red-foots you need a very large and or aggressive breeder to successfully fertilize the female ounce she starts her egg cycle.

4. Red-foots are not good diggers if the soil isnt very loose or easy to excavate to lay eggs in. SO most times they will just lay them on the enclosure floor. Sometimes 1 egg at a time or 4-6 eggs at a time. usually they will have up to 12 eggs over a 2-3 month period.

5. Preperations. Need to make sure you are prepared to incubate, and facilitate the hatchlings when they do hatch.

It seems like a lot of work but its easier to people like me when your just so use to it year after year.

So how big is your red-foot? We would love some photos. :D

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Great info Kelly .....although I would have to disagree that RF's are not good diggers( size /dig relationship they do just fine ) . A mature female will find a spot and dig even in the hardest clay with precision and cover up. Most if any eggs laid on top are either from a young first timer female , and or the mature gal is dumping the eggs. ALL which 99% of the time are not fertile eggs. I just wanted to mention this to the OP incase (they ) happen to find eggs on the surface , not to get too excited and let down 4 months later when nothing hatches. As I mentioned on another thread.......
" Remember just because the tort " does the act" and even lays the eggs .... does not guarantee you will be hatching out baby torts anytime soon. I think if you ask any of the breeders in here , it is a very laborious job , with alot of patience involved and not really a profit of huge proportions‘. Its done more for the love of the hobby and personal learning of things. As your herd grows and the more involved you get ... you can forget about vacations ,,, working outside with the flu , and even missing Christmas with your family... your always maintaining the herd , yard and hunting for eggs~ Did I mention a lot of work?
Although it always seems to put a smile on your face when ya do witness a baby tort hatching and entering the world for the first time! "

JD~:)

Status
Not open for further replies.