Breeding Redfoots

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortguy521

5 Year Member
Hi, i was wondering about how to breed redfoot tortoises because i have 2 feamles one 5 inches and one six and i have one male about 6.5 inches and the male has been seperate from the females for about a year now because i did not want them to breed but now im thinking im wanna go for it and breed them but i do not know how to get them to so am i supposed to change there diet or change there tamps to get them to or do they just do it on there own.

thanks.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
They will do it all on their own :p But it's going to be a few years before you get eggs. Males and females need to be between 10" and 12" before they will be adults and large enough to breed.

Danny

tortguy521

5 Year Member
egyptiandan said:
They will do it all on their own :p But it's going to be a few years before you get eggs. Males and females need to be between 10" and 12" before they will be adults and large enough to breed.

Danny

i do not know if i am measuring them correctly are you supposed to measure the shell from end to end like this because if i do it that way she is about 10 inches

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
You measured them right the first time. :) The second time you measured them "over the curve". You want a straight line measurement, with tortoises it's called SCL (straight carapace length).
When I told you they needed to be 10" to 12", I meant their SCL like you measured the first time.
Redfoot tortoises need to be pretty large before they will start to breed.

Danny

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
This is considered SCL - straight carapace length - although you can't see [ on the 0 ] where the rear of the carapace starts on this 7 month old.. it's 3 1/4" SCL.

ASCL-1.jpg

Measuring the way you have shown is how to measure sea turtles.

Terry K

tortguy521 said:
Hi, i was wondering about how to breed redfoot tortoises because i have 2 feamles one 5 inches and one six and i have one male about 6.5 inches and the male has been seperate from the females for about a year now because i did not want them to breed but now im thinking im wanna go for it and breed them but i do not know how to get them to so am i supposed to change there diet or change there tamps to get them to or do they just do it on there own.

thanks.

This is a hatchling I raised.. she was just shy 11" - the male a little over 10 1/2". Notice the date in the pic..

mates5-04-04012.jpg

She probly grew faster in captivity.. she hatched in Oct. '98.

The "RAINY" season is when they breed.. nothing else is different.

Terry K

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Redfoot NERD said:
This is considered SCL - straight carapace length - although you can't see [ on the 0 ] where the rear of the carapace starts on this 7 month old.. it's 3 1/4" SCL.

ASCL-1.jpg

Measuring the way you have shown is how to measure sea turtles.

Terry K

tortguy521 said:

thanks.

This is a hatchling I raised.. she was just shy 11" - the male a little over 10 1/2". Notice the date in the pic..

mates5-04-04012.jpg

She probly grew faster in captivity.. she hatched in Oct. '98.

The "RAINY" season is when they breed.. nothing else is different.

Terry K

Cool picture!

Do you need to make a wet season for yours, or is the summer wet enough by itself?

Status
Not open for further replies.