Breeding sullies indoors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
I don't keep any sulcatas or leopards, but I have been pretty fascinated them. In Canada the climate is very "tortoise un-friendly", but if you try to replicate their natural enviroment as much as possible when they're indoors, will they still breed? To give you an idea of what I'm talking about, let's say say we keep some Geochelone pardalis babcocki in a 3m x 3m indoor pen, with a 3m x 3m indoor grazing area, and a 7m x 4m outdoor pen (when the weather allows). They're mainly indoors, but their pens are carefully landscaped to match their natural habitat as much as possbile. Would it be possible to breed them under indoor conditions? I've been pondering this for a bit.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
you can try, but only the torts will know if they are 'happy' enough to actually breed. if the conditions are right and thier needs are met, they should.
Not sure if the size of indoor pens would be ideal once they are grown. Bigger the better and ESPECIALLY for sulcatas.. i dont think they would do well in such a small space.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
Laura, I LOVE your signature line!

Sulcatta (from what I've seen/read, I don't have one) Will gladly cover acres of land every day. I'm not sure thats enough space, you never know though!

Its hard when your climate gets in the way of your plans huh?

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
pugsandkids said:

Sulcatta (from what I've seen/read, I don't have one) Will gladly cover acres of land every day. I'm not sure thats enough space, you never know though!

Yeah, definitely. It's a constant downer. Especially with species like leopards and sulcatas.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
tortoises101 said:
pugsandkids said:

Yeah, definitely. It's a constant downer. Especially with species like leopards and sulcatas.

I can imagine, I'm in Oregon, and just the rainy winter is getting frustrating. I want my Russian to be able to get some sun!

Status
Not open for further replies.