Breeding turtles/tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
My grandchildren spent last night and today with me so their parents could finish shopping. It has been raining most of the day. All my critters are inside for about a month til the coldest weather passes. It is a bit difficult for me to carry them all out & in every day cause of my arthritis.
Anyway, there must be something in the air cause my Russians were breeding for the first time, my Redfoots were breeding, and 3 different times different box turtles were breeding. Of course they were being very vocal.
One of my grand daughters (8yrs) asked me why they were on top of each other like that. My other grand daughter (7yrs) piped in with...they both want to sit under the heat light!! Whew!!!

My grandson(10) asked me if I wanted him to sit the male box turtle back on his feet... he didn't know they were attached. I just nonchalantly told him no, to just leave them alone, and to go draw me some more pictures.

If it was up to me, I would have told them what was going on, but my daughter told me they were too young to discuss it.

I am still chuckling.
Patsy

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
If they are old enough to ask questions, they are old enough to get proper, age appropriate answers. Better they hear it from you, than from their friends.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What an intelligent response! Thank you for that. I was wondering how to answer, but you've done an excellent job.

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I agree with you Shelly, but since they are my grandchildren, and their mother says to wait a little longer, I guess I need to respect her wishes. I wouldn't want to jeopardize my visits with them!!
Patsy

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
When my kids asked I responded they were gettin' it on... makin' bacon (then I had to explain 'makin' bacon'... that was a mistake) I then explained they were playing. My kid was 5 at the time... each time.

Each year after that we eased into the topic of procreation. About 8 they understood that's where baby tortoises came from. Luckily it didn't spill over until late grade school.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
I think it's typical and amusing that the 7-year-old opted for the simplest explanation. Kids do that and I believe that you answer their questions as simply as possible, and only what and when they ask.;)

There's that old joke about the kid asking, "Mommy, where did I come from?" and after the mother launches into a long and detailed explanation of the birds and the bees, the kid says, "Oh. Well, Billy said he came from Cleveland."

I think you did exactly the right thing!:p

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:D Had a nice chuckle over the timing of their activity. Mine always seem to become the most vocal about it, when we would have company over for the holiday dinners. :D Made for some interesting conversations. :D

I always told my kids the truth of what was happening, but in your case you do have to respect the mother's wishes.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
You need some music, bam chiki wawa

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
dmmj said:
You need some music, bam chiki wawa

You never fail to put me in a good mood! I wonder what its like at your house. Does your family appreciate you?

Status
Not open for further replies.