Breeding ?

Chaco1980

5 Year Member
I'm not very new to the forum, just new to actually participating, instead of just reading. About a year ago, a friend of mine was moving out of the state and he gave me his pair of red foot tortoise. I have been keeping tortoises for several years now, and was really excited to have a pair of proven breeders. I did eventually get eggs. Before I get into that, I was wandering how long it takes for redfoot eggs to hatch. I have seen and read several different things about hatch time and wander if someone can give me better info on the topic. One care sheet i read said it takes 145 to 200 days. Does this sound close to anyone?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Glad to see you joining us:). I can't help with the incubation time. However, Jeff, N2TORTS will be able to. Pm him if he doesn't answer soon.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I think Kelly (tortadise) wrote a thread on incubation and general breeding parameters by species. It should be a sticky/important thread at the top of the "Tortoise Breeding" forum.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
There are a handful of people here that have successfully bred reds. They can chime in and help, out. Very cool species

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I have 2 female redfoot torts that lay 6 to 8 clutches a year. They usually dont lay in the summer months but bigred did lay one clutch this summer. They are real regular when it comes to laying, about 30 days between each clutch. I have hatched a whole bunch of these guys and they usually hatch between 4 to 6 months. My incubators do fluxuate between 85 to about 88 degrees. The longest egg to hatch for me was 208 days so dont throw any eggs out if they have been incubating for a long time

Chaco1980

5 Year Member
Thanks for the info, I am now sitting at over 200 days and I haven't seen anything. If they were bad would I have known by now?