Brittle Shell Edges

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texastort

10 Year Member!
Hi everyone! I have a shell related question. My latest rescue, Dash, a 45lb male came to be from very poor conditions. His shell was severely pyramided, skin was dry, just bad overall. Well he has been thriving with us here in Texas and aside from his VERY HIGH SEX drive (he humps everything), he's a rock star. I have noticed though in the edge of his shell along the front and back that his shell is really brittle and flaky, kind of like a dry hangnail. Some of his exterior scutes are really jagged, I think from him rubbing on rocks and stuff. Is this normal? He gets a lot of calcium and lots of sun, I am just wondering if his shell is growing.

FADE2BLACK_1973

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Kentucky
I have seen this in red-eared sliders before. Now Im alittle new at tortoises and would think you are doing everything you should be doing for his shell. Maybe hydrate him more and is he growing alittle too fast?

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina
It could be new growth... sometimes with mine when new growth comes out, the edge look almost clear and brittle but it hardens and fills up usually... would need a picture to be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.