Broken nail?

TaylorLO

I'm not sure what to do about his nail.. He still walks on the foot and it doesn't seem to be hurting him but now the bottom of it looks like it's starting to bleed.

IMAG1296.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Just make sure to keep it clean so it doesn't get infected. You can clean it with water and use Neosporin on it. I would be hesitant on removing it unless it is literally hanging by a thread and you're sure it is going to fall off eventually.

TaylorLO

It looks like it was bent at the quick so that's why I'm not sure if I should let it fall off on its own or what.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
It will probably dry up and fall off, then slowly regrow a new one. :) I had a 3-nailed RT who after 2.5 years suddenly grew back the missing nail.

You might dab on some triple antibiotic ointment if it looks enflamed. You could also soak the foot in saline (not the whole tortoise) to disinfect. That would be a more natural route. Just a teaspoon of salt in a cup of warm water, mix it up with your finger, then hold that little foot into it for 5 mins.

TaylorLO

Okay, I will put some neosporin on it. It is broke/bent RIGHT by the quick so that's why I wasn't sure if I should just let it fall off on its own or do something else. Thank you so much!