Broken shell

rolley

we have no vets available nearby..can this tort be treated at home ?IMG_20180723_182704918.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Yes it can. Take a soft bristle brush and gently scrub away all the dirt. You may have to soak it for a while to soften the dirt. Then dry it and apply a thin coating of silver sulfadiazine. You can buy it online, however, it may require a prescription. Walgreen sells this:

https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/c...2723&sst=cc8de191-936c-47c2-abe8-c7d3f937713c

but I've never bought it or used it. It's probably not as strong as the one you get from a vet.

It might also be a good idea to take the tortoise through a regimen of antibiotic.

rolley

There is a stick penetrating through the scute...should I pull it out ?

rolley

Thank you...he is sleeping now....I will clean and dress him tomorrow and will post pictures...

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
You and your tortoise are in good hands with Yvonne. All the best and keep us posted!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, Betadine inhibits the growth of new cells and is mainly a germ killing agent. The silver product aids healing.

rolley

How did that happen?
I don't know..my neighbour found it on a highway two days ago..and he was covered in mud and they didn't notice that he was injured soo badly...they had a female star and kept this one on the lawn with her....when I went there to get some hibiscus for my tort..I saw him and started clicking some pics then I noticed the wound..and posted the thread immediately

rolley

UPDATE- we took him to a vet and he was not an expert at all..he removed the stick as it is..it was buried 1" under the scute..and he told that it was an old wound and there is no need to worry and he asked not to clean it with anything... it was bleeding this morning when I cleaned it with running water...then the vet applied some ointment on the wound without cleaning it properly...
-Is it safe to use the ointment given by the vet ?
-Silver silfadiazine is not available in our area..and no website delivers it to India
-I have silver nitrate ointment..can i use it ?
-is there any possibility of silver toxicity ?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Both of those are fine to use. But clean the wound.