Brumation. Soaking.

jasmin1

Location (City and/or State)
France
Hi again.
Just a quickie!
Jasmin safely in fridge..temp 5°C - 7°C
A thought about dehydration...
In the wild apparently they can have small drinks during brumation.
How is this replicated in captive brumation?
Soaking doesn't seem a safe option if they are only half with it.
Generally, would they go the full 12 weeks without re hydrating?

Also, as brumation is a semi type state, still reasonably cognizant but physically sluggish, would there be periods of head out and eyes half open?

Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't ever disturb my tortoises during brumation. However, some folks regularly get them up and soak them. I guess it's up to you and what you feel is best for your tortoise.

jasmin1

France
Hi
Thanks for that.
Is being awake and looking out, albeit with half closed eyes, normal?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi again.
Just a quickie!
Jasmin safely in fridge..temp 5°C - 7°C
A thought about dehydration...
In the wild apparently they can have small drinks during brumation.
How is this replicated in captive brumation?
Soaking doesn't seem a safe option if they are only half with it.
Generally, would they go the full 12 weeks without re hydrating?

Also, as brumation is a semi type state, still reasonably cognizant but physically sluggish, would there be periods of head out and eyes half open?

Thanks
I leave them alone during brumation too. When they are brumated outdoors, sometimes a warm sunny spell in winter will bring them up to have a look around for a bit. In my opinion, this is not good, and this is a big reason why brumating them outside doesn't work well in my area. We regularly get high temps in the 80s during the middle of winter, though the high is usually in the 60s or low 70s throughout winter. Occasionally, we will see daytime highs in the low 90s in winter, though that is unusual. We have cold winter nights, typically in the 30s.

I keep the brumation media lightly damp. Not wet at all. Just slightly damp. This gives some humidity in the brumation box and lessens the effects of dehydration. I check the media periodically during the brumation and add a few drops of water as needed to a corner far from the tortoise. I try to disturb the slumbering beasts as little as possible during these checks.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
I leave them alone during brumation too. When they are brumated outdoors, sometimes a warm sunny spell in winter will bring them up to have a look around for a bit. In my opinion, this is not good, and this is a big reason why brumating them outside doesn't work well in my area. We regularly get high temps in the 80s during the middle of winter, though the high is usually in the 60s or low 70s throughout winter. Occasionally, we will see daytime highs in the low 90s in winter, though that is unusual. We have cold winter nights, typically in the 30s.

I keep the brumation media lightly damp. Not wet at all. Just slightly damp. This gives some humidity in the brumation box and lessens the effects of dehydration. I check the media periodically during the brumation and add a few drops of water as needed to a corner far from the tortoise. I try to disturb the slumbering beasts as little as possible during these checks.
I almost posted here a minute ago but didn't want to take away from the original ? But if they do get warmed up, woke up what is the best procedure for cooling back down? % of temperature drop per day? Can this be done safely? what about more than once? I'm sure doing it multiple times is VERY bad and stressful right? Sorry hope this isn't taking from the original post.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I almost posted here a minute ago but didn't want to take away from the original ? But if they do get warmed up, woke up what is the best procedure for cooling back down? % of temperature drop per day? Can this be done safely? what about more than once? I'm sure doing it multiple times is VERY bad and stressful right? Sorry hope this isn't taking from the original post.
Don't let them warm up in the first place is the answer here. There is no reason why they should. If a mistake is made, or equipment fails, and they get warmer, I would just cool them back down ASAP.

jasmin1

France
Hi
I asked about the waking up and looking with half closed eyes because, I put her in the fridge sat, by mon the temp was down to 5 degrees.
She hadn't moved at all, head in, legs closed in front .Then today she had her head a little out and eyes part open. the temp hasn't gone above 7 , so I was wondering maybe that it takes a while for her to adjust and sleep?
I do understand that they are not totally motionless during their brumation but I just wanted to check everything is in order and it's normal activity.
Thanks again

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi
I asked about the waking up and looking with half closed eyes because, I put her in the fridge sat, by mon the temp was down to 5 degrees.
She hadn't moved at all, head in, legs closed in front .Then today she had her head a little out and eyes part open. the temp hasn't gone above 7 , so I was wondering maybe that it takes a while for her to adjust and sleep?
I do understand that they are not totally motionless during their brumation but I just wanted to check everything is in order and it's normal activity.
Thanks again
Yes. They do look around, especially when the door opens and light comes in. They will also move around sometimes, digging deeper, or digging shallower. This is all normal even when temps are suitably cold and consistent.

jasmin1

France
Thanks she's normal then.
She only sits on top of the substrate, During the summer she normally part digs, about an inch,
But I don't think she particularly likes the reptibark.
if it's ok to just sit on top then the primadonna will just have to lump it!
Maybe I will cover her a little..
Thanks again