1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Brumation

Discussion in 'American box turtles' started by mike1234, Nov 26, 2018.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. mark1

mark1 Well-Known Member

Location (City and/or State):
    ohio
    I've "un-brumated" them a lot , every year I can think of I've gotten one or two early ….. I've not been real confident of a few over the years and hibernated them a month or two whereas it's normally about 7 months here ……. I did one this year for a month , and one for two months , one has ear abscesses and the other was with it and another with a respiratory infection whom I didn't even let try to hibernate ……. if your box turtle cannot dig into the natural ground don't leave him out . eastern box turtles don't go very deep , but I've seen them down up to about 6 inches below natural ground level ………. counting the ground cover leaves , grass and branches would put them down 2 1/2' -3' feet from the surface
  2. ellie blumenthal

ellie blumenthal Member

Birmingham, alabama

Now I am really scared. :( I am new to all this. m My box CHOSE that place, inside the acrylic enclosure, but... he is a wild box and probably made a mistake..
  3. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin

Clovis, CA
    Nothing to be scared about. Just pile up leaves and garden trash over the acrylic enclosure so it's 2' high or higher. He'll be fine.
    ellie blumenthal likes this.
  4. ellie blumenthal

ellie blumenthal Member

Birmingham, alabama
    Yvonne, we did and I will do more. Thank you. So unbrumate in March, right? Or wait until he comes out h by himself?
  5. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin

Clovis, CA
    Just let him come out by himself. Once the nights are consistently over 50F he'll start to unbury himself
  6. mark1

mark1 Well-Known Member

ohio
    the below quote has me picturing the turtle in an acrylic box on it's side with the opening sideways ? if that is the case and he doesn't have access to dig in the natural ground , imo it's a pretty risky way to hibernate a turtle .......my winters are much harsher than yours , but i've seen turtles without access to the natural ground freeze to death before ...... if the ground side of the acrylic box is open , allowing the turtle to dig into the NATURAL ground , then as Yvonne said i wouldn't worry ......