Brumation

ssindel

Location (City and/or State)
Arroyo Grande, California
Brand new DT Mama here. Upon arrival of our adopted DT, he woke up from hibernation early. He was active for a few days although I never witnessed him eat or drink. Over the past 24 hours, he appears less active. Could he be going back into brumation since the temp has significantly dropped? Should I be concerned? What do I do? Eyes look okay right now and no observed runny nose. I feel like I have no idea what I’m doing and don’t want to hurt him. Thanks for your help.1B1D298A-8B56-4E2C-B970-99E487B5CCFD.jpeg

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hello and welcome to TFO!

During brumation, torts are aware of their surroundings, and movement and sounds. And he probably was sleeping in a cool spot and warmed up in transit. So he woke up when he was moved to your place.

Now he's in a strange new place he's never seen before, not sure he is safe, and doesn't know where to go. He's understandably bewildered.

If he drank, that's ok. If he ate anything, that's of more concern. I think you are going to have to keep him up now to prevent him from getting sick from going back into brumation with food in his gut.

You'll need to keep him inside, warm, and bright light 12-14 hours a day. This will make him think it's spring. He has to be warm (around 80 deg) during daytime to digest his food, and he needs space to walk around in his enclosure.

Don't worry about UV light or humidity. He's an adult and won't miss these for the couple months he's indoors.

So yes, give him water and food, and some time to become familiar with his new space. Then in spring when it really warms up, move him outside.

Come back with any questions, and we'll be happy to help you.

ssindel

Arroyo Grande, California
Hello and welcome to TFO!

During brumation, torts are aware of their surroundings, and movement and sounds. And he probably was sleeping in a cool spot and warmed up in transit. So he woke up when he was moved to your place.

Now he's in a strange new place he's never seen before, not sure he is safe, and doesn't know where to go. He's understandably bewildered.

If he drank, that's ok. If he ate anything, that's of more concern. I think you are going to have to keep him up now to prevent him from getting sick from going back into brumation with food in his gut.

You'll need to keep him inside, warm, and bright light 12-14 hours a day. This will make him think it's spring. He has to be warm (around 80 deg) during daytime to digest his food, and he needs space to walk around in his enclosure.

Don't worry about UV light or humidity. He's an adult and won't miss these for the couple months he's indoors.

So yes, give him water and food, and some time to become familiar with his new space. Then in spring when it really warms up, move him outside.

Come back with any questions, and we'll be happy to help you.
Thank you! That was really helpful!