Bug Free Substrate

krissyjean

Hi there - I just joined the forum and am so happy to have done so. I have two little buddies that sit in a window seat right next to my desk (I am an executive recruiter and I work from home). Their names are Sheldon and Leonard (and yes, our cat's name is Penny). Anyway, they are in a 50" terrarium for now as they are probably about 1 and 2. I was using all reptile bark, but then the last time I changed it which is about once a month, there were tons of wood mites in there. I was just changing their water and giving them salad yesterday and noticed more mites as well as a silverfish. My question is are there other options for substrate that will be virtually bug free and still allow them to burrow? Thanks in advance. - Kristin

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
They might not be "in" your substrate, but actually there for the poop buffet.
Most of those critters are actually beneficial. If they are indeed mites, they are a biting hazard.
Some folks cook their substrate first. That is doable for a small pen.
I use Orchid bark with Potting soil or compost on top. I've never seen a bug that I didn't put in it.
That Pet Store bark is overpriced and NOTHING special. There have been posts about pet shop bark having bugs.
Use hardware store substrate and just spot clean it as necessary.

krissyjean

OK thanks. I just looked online and Home Depot sells long-fibered sphagnum moss/peat moss as well as the cypress mulch so maybe I will try that. The bugs are tiny and a nuisance...plus, I'm a girl! I hate bugs! I appreciate the response.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
OK thanks. I just looked online and Home Depot sells long-fibered sphagnum moss/peat moss as well as the cypress mulch so maybe I will try that. The bugs are tiny and a nuisance...plus, I'm a girl! I hate bugs! I appreciate the response.
What type of tortoises? Any photos?

krissyjean

They are Hermann Tortoises. Here are a couple of photos of my little buddies!

Sheldon.jpg The Boys.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yes. You want some substrate that can hold some humidity, too. Babies need humidity.
You've had luck keeping two together? Most keepers would advise against it. But, if it's working.....

krissyjean

Yes, they are doing fine. Every now and then when Leonard gets a little "hormonal" (as pre-puberty boys tend to), he will do a little mounting of Leonard who is quite a bit smaller, but other than that they are pretty social with one another.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yes, they are doing fine. Every now and then when Leonard gets a little "hormonal" (as pre-puberty boys tend to), he will do a little mounting of Leonard who is quite a bit smaller, but other than that they are pretty social with one another.
You're seeing the beginnings of dominance behavior. It will eventually most likely turn into biting and bullying. Just watch them and make sure that they both eat, etc.
Bullying can make a tortoise very ill.
One will grow and prosper and one will stay small and become ill. Not that yours will, but they are not social creatures and they do not like or need tortoise company. other tortoises are seen as a threat to the food supply and best land. Not a friend.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

A couple of things:
1. The bugs aren't coming from the substrate. They are coming from the environment around you, and your substrate provides them with an ideal home and living conditions.You will have them no matter what substrate you use. The only way to get rid of them is to boil, bake, or replace your substrate every two weeks or so.
2. Your tortoises need separate living quarters. Tortoises should not be kept in pairs. They are not social and do not considers other tortoises "friends". The chronic stress of living as a pair in a small indoor enclosure is really bad for both of them. Your little one is existing in a living hell. Can you imagine if someone locked you in a room with a serial abuser that hated your guts and wanted you out of there? Your big one is telling the little one to get out of his territory every minute of every day. The little one can't leave, so he lives a life of constant torture. Do him a favor and give him his own kingdom to preside over and some peace and quiet for once in his life.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum.

I totally agree with what came above: torts do NOT like/want company, and bullying may begin. Therefore, please keep this point in mind.

Wishing you and your cute torts the best of luck.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
It's so easy to misinterpret their behaviors. It might look like they're social when what they want is to occupy the same space. Don't wait for blood or death. Separate them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Kristin, and welcome to the Forum!

I use orchid bark. It can be kept pretty moist and doesn't become sour-smelling. Young tortoises benefit from a more humid environment. It helps their growing shells to come in smoothly.

I also agree with the above about not keeping tortoises in pairs. If you had them set up outside in a large habitat with many sight barriers you could get away with having two. That way they could claim their territory and stay out of each other's way, but indoors it seldom works.

We have an excellent Hermanni care sheet. You can find it pinned at the top of our Hermann section.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Hello and Welcome to this forum, About the bugs, you could mix in some DE to help keep the bug count down. I have never kept Hermann Tortoises, so I don't have a position on keeping them in pairs, I know that some species do OK in pairs and some in groups and some may want to spend their entire life alone, I have seen these different behaviors in my experiences of keeping several different types of tortoises for many years.