bugs? normal or not good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigwhitemonster

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
new york
so i found quite a few small bugs in the tank today and i dont know what to do. is it normal? im not sure what they are, i saw one that looked like a milliped or something but very small. i dont know where they came from. what should i do please help /:(

tortoiselady528

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arizona
Change the tank ASAP!
They could just be from your house or something that got collected from the yard, but it is better to be safe than sorry.
I would also send a fecal sample to the vet just to be safe, or if you can afford it just taking your tort for a checkup.

bigwhitemonster

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
new york
so i should change the substrate and all that stuff an clean the tank?

and also i have a half log for him to hide in that seems where most of the bugs are should i get rid of that or can i like boil it in hot water or something. whats the best thing i can do

tortoiselady528

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arizona
Yes, I would suggest you do a full cleaning of the tank.
Change substrate and wash it all down.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What kind of substrate are you using. More than likely, the bugs came into your habitat as eggs in the substrate. The lights and moisture caused them to hatch. Bugs in the substrate can be quite difficult to control. Sunshine does a good job. If you can spread your substrate out in the sun for the day and let it dry out it will kill them. You have to spread it thin and turn it often to be sure to expose all the bugs.

Yvonne

bigwhitemonster

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
new york
im using that repti bark but i herd it was not good so i was planning on getting cypress and some soil this week anyways. the main thing im worried about is his one hide its the half log thing what should i do about that?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can soak it in some bleach water. About a 1 part bleach to 4 parts water solution. Then rinse it really good and leave it in the sun. The sun makes the bleach chemicals dissipate and it won't be harmful to the tortoise. But if after treating and curing in the sun you still smell a strong scent of the bleach you need to rinse more and sun more.

Another cleaning solution is salt and sun. Make a paste of table salt and scrub the log with it. Then rinse thoroughly and leave in the sun for the day. This is probably better than the bleach, which could harm your tortoise if not rinsed well enough.

Yvonne

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Hi, bigwhitemonster. You have a Redfoot, correct? I have used Moser Lee Sphagnum Moss which you can get at Home Depot or Lowes for around $4 a bag. This moss does not promote bug growth as far as I have found and used it. I now use it in my Greek hatchling enclosures and never had a bug. As far as the log. You can bake it in the oven for a period of time (say an hour at about 250 degrees to kill any bugs or as Yvonne has said make a paste of salt, use salt and water to make a paste, then scrub it down, if it is wood. If it is plastic you could boil it. Which ever you do make sure you rinse out everything really, really well.
Remember Redfoots need high moisture so the Sphagnum Moss works well to hold in the humidity and deter bug prodution.
You might want to check out http://www.turtletary.com or http://www.Redfoots.com These are great places for info on Redfoots.

bigwhitemonster

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
new york
i was going to get some of that but my lowes and home depot do not carry it now bc they said its out of season so i did get some zoo med stuff

bigwhitemonster

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
new york
also would a cypress mulch, organic soil and eventually mosser lee moss be a good mix for him??

bluejen1313

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi! I had trouble finding the Mosser Lee products too. I ordered some from the company online and did find some at a nursery/greenhouse type place.

Also, I just found a few tiny little gnat- like tiny bugs flying around my tort table. I changed the substrate. It was time anyway. I'm glad I saw this post. Thanks! Jennifer

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
bigwhitemonster said:
also would a cypress mulch, organic soil and eventually mosser lee moss be a good mix for him??

That is what I use, and haven't had a bug problem ever. I put the mosser lee moss in the hide so it is nice and humid. Everything else I mix up and put plants in the vivarium for humidity. I also put some green reptile moss on top for color.

bigwhitemonster

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
new york
awesome im glad i have a site like this at my finger tips. its easy to take advise from one person but who know if they are right...but when you got a hundred or so then there is alot more backbone. if ya catch my drift. thanks again everyone :)

Status
Not open for further replies.