Building a tortoise cage

Burt0405

I have a China cabinet with space for three levels and I want to make a cage for my baby leopard (3yrs old). I know I need vents and such but am looking for ideas on how to make the levels
I want to make them as easy to clean as possible . Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can post pics if necessary. My idea is to have the bottom level with a big tub for him(he loves water idk why) and a little Beach area and then the other two levels grazing/sleep areas

Bambam1989

Location (City and/or State)
East Texas
I have a China cabinet with space for three levels and I want to make a cage for my baby leopard (3yrs old). I know I need vents and such but am looking for ideas on how to make the levels
I want to make them as easy to clean as possible . Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can post pics if necessary. My idea is to have the bottom level with a big tub for him(he loves water idk why) and a little Beach area and then the other two levels grazing/sleep areas
I like the idea. I would assume it would need ramps to get to each level that are not too steep. You mentioned a beach on the bottom level- just don't use sand cause it can be hazardous. You would have to thoroughly coat the inside with some kind of water resistant liner to protect the wood from the humidity. Heat rises so it might be tricky to keep the lower level properly heated...
Hope you're handy with tools. What are the dimensions of the cabinet? Pics are always a good idea

Burt0405

I like the idea. I would assume it would need ramps to get to each level that are not too steep. You mentioned a beach on the bottom level- just don't use sand cause it can be hazardous. You would have to thoroughly coat the inside with some kind of water resistant liner to protect the wood from the humidity. Heat rises so it might be tricky to keep the lower level properly heated...
Hope you're handy with tools. What are the dimensions of the cabinet? Pics are always a good idea
Oh yeah he can't have sand he eats everything! I am kinda handy not an expert tho. Do you think it's possible to have lights on every level? I'll post pics when I get home. My other question is, I have a small ground level patio that has gravel and I could put in some sod. Am I better off just fixing him up a little outdoor area? At 3 can he be outdoors all year round (Arizona winter's?)

Bambam1989

Location (City and/or State)
East Texas
Oh yeah he can't have sand he eats everything! I am kinda handy not an expert tho. Do you think it's possible to have lights on every level? I'll post pics when I get home. My other question is, I have a small ground level patio that has gravel and I could put in some sod. Am I better off just fixing him up a little outdoor area? At 3 can he be outdoors all year round (Arizona winter's?)
Whether or not your tort is ready for a permanent outdoor enclosure probably depends on it's size. Some torts grow faster then others.
Lights on every level is possible, it all depends on what your willing to pay.

Burt0405

Whether or not your tort is ready for a permanent outdoor enclosure probably depends on it's size. Some torts grow faster then others.
Lights on every level is possible, it all depends on what your willing to pay.
Here are photos of China cabinet
Obviously the mirror would have to be take out of covered. Probably taken out so it's easier to drill vents.
KIMG0099.JPGKIMG0098.JPG