Building a tortoise home suggestions

Sydgeo21

Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
I’m planning on building my hermann tortoise a home, I know a lot of people use wood. What kind of wood is the best? What’s best to treat the wood? I also have heard people using pool liners to line the inside. I’m just trying to get a shopping list put together so I can see what budget I’m looking at. I’m using a kids plastic pool now and he’s quickly getting to big for it. This one is going to be his permanent home hopefully. Hoping for a 10ft by 4 ft is the goal

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Richmond, VA
I’m planning on building my hermann tortoise a home, I know a lot of people use wood. What kind of wood is the best? What’s best to treat the wood? I also have heard people using pool liners to line the inside. I’m just trying to get a shopping list put together so I can see what budget I’m looking at. I’m using a kids plastic pool now and he’s quickly getting to big for it. This one is going to be his permanent home hopefully. Hoping for a 10ft by 4 ft is the goal
I would use melanine and silicone the joints. This will last long in the conditions your hermanns would need. If beauty doesn't matter then I suggest a small pool with a wood frame overtop to hold lights