Building Tortoise Table - need input

SaraT

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, IL
We are building a tortoise table as part of an enrichment project at our school. We have 2 red-footed tortoises that are approximately 35 years old. We will be researching to make it as naturalistic as possible. Just wondering if anyone had an approximate idea of costs for the project so I can get it approved a head of time.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Don't know about costs because I have a never ending supply of scrap lumber that I build from.

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
If you can find an old book shelf, than it can be pretty budget friendly! Mine was under 100 bucks to throw togather, but i had most of my building materials already on hand .

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Netherlands
Two adult redfoots need a lot of space, much bigger than a bookshelf. 8x4 ft is recommended for one as a minimum, I would go even bigger for two adults.
You could use wood and line it with plastic so it can withstand the needed humidity. Maybe you can use materials the kids (parents) have at their homes, like old wood and shower curtains?

I built a 7x4 foot table off the ground, say you went without the stands then Lowe's will take about 26 bucks for one piece and 7x4 feet takes about 4 pieces and then you need to think about liner and stuff but if you USe a stand like I did then you can use the stuff that keeps mulch in at playground, one pillar gets you very far and built it like a table ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1488697160.900396.jpg

SaraT

Chicago, IL
Thanks! We are definitely going to go BIG! The kids are researching a lot about habitats conditions etc...right now. I'm wondering if we need an additional water source other than our large saucer. I'm worried that it will get too dirty. Any ideas about helping curtail tortoise smell? I clean up after them all the time but two big tortoises definitely make my classroom smell like a zoo :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How about not keeping them in the school. Tortoises are bad a idea as class room projects. Specially two large RF.
Or, take them back home with you daily.

FLGirl41

5 Year Member
This video (and the whole channel) might help show how to build a large wood enclosure, and it points out the indoor husbandry parameters you'll want to focus on with your redfoots. The #1 thing to remember, besides lots of space, is that you must maintain high, tropical humidity levels for redfoots, which means using appropriate substrate (e.g., cypress mulch, soil, a bit of sand) and spraying it regularly to ensure appropriate humidity. For enclosure size, I would go at least 6x8 feet but reds will use every bit of space you give them, so the bigger the better.

For helping odor, besides regular cleaning I would highly recommend making the substrate bioactive by adding a variety of springtails and isopods. I've done this with all my reptile enclosures containing substrate and it's wonderful. There are numerous companies online that you can order these from. I used Genesis Exotics which was a bit pricey for all my enclosures, but I let them know my substrates and husbandry parameters and they picked out appropriate bugs for me.

SaraT

Chicago, IL
This video (and the whole channel) might help show how to build a large wood enclosure, and it points out the indoor husbandry parameters you'll want to focus on with your redfoots. The #1 thing to remember, besides lots of space, is that you must maintain high, tropical humidity levels for redfoots, which means using appropriate substrate (e.g., cypress mulch, soil, a bit of sand) and spraying it regularly to ensure appropriate humidity. For enclosure size, I would go at least 6x8 feet but reds will use every bit of space you give them, so the bigger the better.

For helping odor, besides regular cleaning I would highly recommend making the substrate bioactive by adding a variety of springtails and isopods. I've done this with all my reptile enclosures containing substrate and it's wonderful. There are numerous companies online that you can order these from. I used Genesis Exotics which was a bit pricey for all my enclosures, but I let them know my substrates and husbandry parameters and they picked out appropriate bugs for me.

Thank you! Love the idea of making it bioactive. Such a smart way to create a better ecosytem and teach a little more in the process! Thank you so much!

SaraT

Chicago, IL
How about not keeping them in the school. Tortoises are bad a idea as class room projects. Specially two large RF.
Or, take them back home with you daily.

Although I understand your concern I'm working with 13/14 year old students, not young children. Also as a working person I spend 10 waking hours a day at my job. Between commuting, cooking, kids, taking care of our house my home would not afford me nearly the same amount of time to focus on them. To me having them with me for the majority of my day is during work. I'm just lucky to work in an environment where I can keep animals and take care of them throughout the day. If you have any tips or something helpful to add that would seem to be the goal of this forum as I am also teaching responsible husbandry to my students, the importance of long term care, creating an appropriate habitat and the importance of researching an animals needs. I hope to create much more responsible pet owners in the future. These are also rescue tortoises so we talk a lot about supporting organizations instead of heading to a pet store.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My concern was not with age of the kids as much as I can't see you getting the proper amount of space they should have/need. I think it's sad.
Anyway, check out tortoiselibrary.com for more good info on RF

Souptugo

5 Year Member
God forbid one kid gets salmonella and you will be in big trouble. What about the weekends? Who will feed/water/bathe? Seems logistically difficult.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My concerns for a classroom tortoise are, like Barb's, size of the enclosure. One RF tortoise needs about 4'x8' to live comfortably, and you're talking about two. RF tortoises usually get along together, but you might (MIGHT) run into a situation where one of them tries to chase the other out of his territory. This is something that happens with tortoises.

Another concern is that the school turns off the lights and heat at night. Will your tortoise still be able to have his enclosure heated up to about 80F degrees after hours and on week-ends?

SaraT

Chicago, IL

Thanks, we figured we can easily do a 10x5 in the space. They also have a 600 sq ft classroom to wander. Do you still use that website. I see there is a referral and would be happy to use your info since you have been the most helpful on here!

FLGirl41

5 Year Member
Thanks, we figured we can easily do a 10x5 in the space. They also have a 600 sq ft classroom to wander. Do you still use that website. I see there is a referral and would be happy to use your info since you have been the most helpful on here!
Hi Sara, thanks for considering me as a referral but that's not necessary. :)

I don't want to discount the other posters' concerns, as they are valid. I'd like to offer some perspective as someone who has kept adult redfoots indoors. It's not an easy feat. Despite our best intentions as loving animal keepers, there's no getting around the fact that large tortoises are smelly animals with significant space and dietary requirements. My girls were miserable when I had to bring them indoors for the winter, which is why I decided to rehome them as I am moving north and will no longer be able to provide them an outdoor enclosure most of the year like I have been able to do in Florida. I made the decision that was best for them, although not at all easy for me.

A couple of adult redfoots go through a lot of food and, for me, they cost between $15-20 a week to feed. If you want to make this an educational experience for your students, you have the responsibility to make sure you can meet their requirements: they are tropical tortoises and it's essential that they have high heat and humidity. It doesn't take much for this species to get dehydrated, which is why they do well living outdoors in Florida but become substantially higher maintenance if kept indoors. I absolutely would not recommend letting them roam through the classroom. Although cute, it's unsafe and unsanitary as many reptiles carry Salmonella. Redfoots are very curious and can easily get into trouble, and this would be teaching your students irresponsible care of tortoises. Also, it's impossible to maintain their heat/humidity needs if they're free roaming.

I'm all for school programs that use animals for education. I've seen a few absolutely stellar high school-level aquaculture programs here in Florida that housed and bred a variety of freshwater and marine fish species, and it's clear the students thrived from the experience. However, it's important to prioritize, first and foremost, the needs of the animals you're working with and make sure those needs can be met.