Bullying or Just an Accident?

AZTorts

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
These are 10 month old Arizona Desert Tortoises. I took this video 2 weeks ago. I saw the bigger one bulldoze under the little one tipping her over on her back. Then I grabbed my camera and observed the rest. Since then I have changed a lot of things in the way they are housed and I have not noticed anymore of this kind of thing between them. So I'm really just putting this video up to see what you think....bullying or just an accident due to being in a small space?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tortoise aggression at the 50 second mark.

If this was two weeks ago, I hope your set up for them has improved since then. They are much to dry and there are far too many swallowable pebbles in that substrate for a small indoor enclosure.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Sadly, tortoises don't do well together unless they have A LOT of space. The smaller tort usually is the one that ends up getting bullied... It can seriously stress them out, and the small one might get injured :(

turtlelou

5 Year Member
:( I thought for sure he was going to bite him in the leg or the head. I'm so glad he didn't...poor little one.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The other two looks like they are cowarding in the corner. I agree with Tom, too dry, the pebbles and way too small an enclosure for one the way it appears in the pic, let alone four of them

AZTorts

Arizona
Tortoise aggression at the 50 second mark.

If this was two weeks ago, I hope your set up for them has improved since then. They are much to dry and there are far too many swallowable pebbles in that substrate for a small indoor enclosure.

Yes, it's nothing like that now. I was going by what the Sonora Desert Museum recommends...good ole Arizona dirt. Well that's what my Arizona dirt looks like. LOL But now I'm using the coconut coir. I have two separate bins for them when they're inside but they're outside most of the day. I'm having a snake issue so I put them out in the later morning and bring them in in the early evening when I see they are already starting to sleep outside anyway.

AZTorts

Arizona
Sadly, tortoises don't do well together unless they have A LOT of space. The smaller tort usually is the one that ends up getting bullied... It can seriously stress them out, and the small one might get injured :(

Even back then I was putting them outside for most of the day, bringing them in at night. But now when I bring them in, it's lights out. Outside they are still doing well together. They walk past each other and there are no issues that I have seen out there. They all come and eat together when I go out and toss fresh leaves and flowers in for them. But I know as they grow that will change. I'm already trying to arrange for new homes for some of them.

AZTorts

Arizona
The other two looks like they are cowarding in the corner. I agree with Tom, too dry, the pebbles and way too small an enclosure for one the way it appears in the pic, let alone four of them

I thought the other two looked scared too!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Even back then I was putting them outside for most of the day, bringing them in at night. But now when I bring them in, it's lights out. Outside they are still doing well together. They walk past each other and there are no issues that I have seen out there. They all come and eat together when I go out and toss fresh leaves and flowers in for them. But I know as they grow that will change. I'm already trying to arrange for new homes for some of them.
Since they are just little guys, it probably won't escalate to much yet. But as you said, when they grow and get bigger it could be a real problem. They may have established their territory outdoors, and don't find one another interesting anymore.

AZTorts

Arizona
Since they are just little guys, it probably won't escalate to much yet. But as you said, when they grow and get bigger it could be a real problem. They may have established their territory outdoors, and don't find one another interesting anymore.

When they sleep outside they often sleep next to each other even though they have plenty of room to go find their own space to sleep. Even that big one sleeps next to the other ones. Like they like each other but there's some sibling rivalry going on? I know it will get worse over time though.

AZTorts

Arizona
pretty much lol i've alway's said that human's aren't social creatures by nature but we have to be because they're's so freaking many of us lol

Ha! I have to agree! LOL

I've read if you have more than one it's better to have two females. Are the males more apt to bully? I have no idea what mine are at this point.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
Ha! I have to agree! LOL

I've read if you have more than one it's better to have two females. Are the males more apt to bully? I have no idea what mine are at this point.

it's best to have on per enclosure if you want more then one torts don't do well together even calmer species still bullys