Bunch of questions (sorry)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I've asked a few questions and received some great direction. (Thank you) but I have more. So sorry lol. I just want to make sure things are optimal for my female ornate.

1. Where can I get Rollie pollies (pill bugs) or whatever they are technically called? I figured I could find them outside but my yard is currently treated with organic bug stuff every other month. (Question #4 is related)

2. Will a night time heat bulb work well enough to keep temps right? Do they emit UV? I have a uv bulb and a daytime heat bulb but I'd like to lesson the lighting for her without compromising on heat or uv.

3. Would putting her on a schedule help with getting her to be more friendly and out and about more? Like after turning on her lights in the morning, getting my kids off to school, then like clockwork picking her up from under her hide, soaking, eating, or just interaction help get her to come out more?

4. The contract for my yard treatments ends in June of next year. It's treated every other month because scorpions and earwigs were a problem. (My home is a new build so it was bug city)
How long will it take to safety put my ornate in an outdoor habitat, where she could dig and eat critters she may find? I don't feel the treatments are extremely toxic because snakes and toads still end up in my yard and garage but it takes frequent treatment to be very effective against the bugs. Anyways I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Elohi(Earth)[TURTLE]

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm not really a box turtle guy, but I can get you started with some general answers.

1. Rollie pollies can be found anywhere with damp earthy ground. They are detrivores, so look around rotting leaf piles or dog poop piles. I'll bet an internet search will also reveal online sources where you can buy them.
2. The best night heat strategy, if you actually even need night heat, is a ceramic heating element on a thermostat.
3. Put your lights on a timer. This will just make life easier. Hand feeding tends to make them more friendly, but some of them just need time to realize you aren't going to eat them. Still others are just naturally shy, and just don't want human attention or interaction.
4. This depends on many factors including: Which chemical(s) are being used, and how much rain comes a long to wash it away.

TommyZ

5 Year Member
For the pill bugs, carolina pet supply carries them, they can be ordered online.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TortForum mobile app

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Thanks you very much for your replies. [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES][TURTLE]
The reason I was wondering about the night heat bulb was actually for daytime use to lower the light levels in her habitat. The heat bulb she has now is possibly too bright. I wonder if maybe that's a possible reason for why she'd rather just stay in her hide. I wouldn't keep it on at night most likely since I keep reading she needs the normal heating and cooling cycles of day and night.

Elohi(Earth)[TURTLE]

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Are you using a coil type UV bulb? Those can sometimes make them not want to come out.

Status
Not open for further replies.