Not open for further replies.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York

SailingMystic said:
emysemys said:
Hi Diane:

That might work just the opposite of what you want, that is...bringing them into the house by starting out at the end point.

So far it has worked :) And I use feeding blocks as well- they are huge and take a while to break down (not cheap either)...and they are far away. So far, so good :) Feeding blocks come in all types of flavors...and my neighbor pitched in for the good food- so the distraction for them to relocate to another huge tree has helped us out a lot. We didn't want to hurt them....

I feel really bad about this poor little turtle - so sad to come out and find it in that condition....

SailingMystic,
I'm glad that the feed worked for you, but I really think you're asking for a huge issue in the long-term here. You're introducing easy meals for raccoons...sure you may have 1-2 now, but keeping food out in the woods is likely going to attract more raccoons, coyotes, skunks, etc to your region. These are all potential predators to your tortoises. I would highly recommend discontinuing this project, you're giving them a reason to hang around. The moment you take that food away, there's a good chance they'll be wandering through your yard looking for more. The longer you leave it there, the more animals you're going to be pulling into that region.

My advice, take it or leave it.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Thank you for all the advice. I live in a very urban area and have had trouble with raccoons for years. I'm VERY careful about locking everyone up at night. I had a new neighbor move in with two large dogs, and all signs of the coons had disappeared so I thought he (I should say "they" because I've seen three of them trying to get to my rabbits.) I guess I got complacent. I was just shocked that he was able to pull the little door off like that. The hinges were seriously bent. I don't want to hurt any animal, but I"m thinking of an electric fence all around the perimeter. Anyone every use one?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Here is one good thread for you, scroll down (electric fencing around the enclosure only)
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Need-secure-enclosure-ideas#axzz1YV9ZAk3E.
I think the electric fence around the top of your yard or enclosure can help, there is still the concern about them digging under. They can't smell torts, but they can remember that they were there (sadly), and also smell any leftover food. I occasionally give my torts Mazuri, but never in their outside enclosure as I am concerned about even one stray crumb. Greens, not so much, but I do try to keep the feeding area relatively clean.
The electric fence could help, but might not be enough by itself, depending on how determined your predators (racoons) are.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
An electric fence is a good idea, and will keep any predators out. Make sure you get a powerful one. I think they call 'em grass cutters. If you get foliage touching it, it will still shock, as well as kill the offending blades.I have used them for many years. I wouldn't get the solar one though.Check TSC if there's one in your area.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I am so sorry. I have a chain link coverd dog run over my boxie garden. I got it used so it was cheap and I don't think anything but a bear could get in. Thankfully we don't have bears.

Status
Not open for further replies.